News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How do you turn the dial on a Telegrafverket to use as a wall phone?

Started by Karen, April 05, 2012, 11:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karen

I see the notch over the 4, but it doesnt seem to do anything. Do you have to turn it from underneath?

Also, the only number I see on here implying a date is 28-3, but im thinking it cant be that old.  Do you know about how old these are?

HowardPgh

Karen-
Your phone is probably from the 1960s.
If I remember correctly, to change the orientation of the dial, you remove the plastic cover on the back of the dial and remove the two screws and lift the dial out and flip it around. The fingerstop will now be in the notch at 4. Reverse the process to secure the dial again.  You got lucky to find one of these with a normally numbered dial.
Howard

dsk

Quote from: HowardPgh on April 06, 2012, 12:03:08 PM
Karen-
Your phone is probably from the 1960s.
If I remember correctly, to change the orientation of the dial, you remove the plastic cover on the back of the dial and remove the two screws and lift the dial out and flip it around. The fingerstop will now be in the notch at 4. Reverse the process to secure the dial again.  You got lucky to find one of these with a normally numbered dial.

The model is known as the Elektrisk Bureau 1953 modell, made from 1953 to 1967
The capacitor may have a date. The paper around the coils indicates an early model. The ring around the transmitter may have a date too.

The electrical characteristics are similar to the 302, but the ringer may draw a some more than 2 REN.

If the transmitter makes noise, try to put a resistor of 220 ohms in parallel with the transmitter.

dsk

Karen

THANK YOU!!  I got it.  Wasnt hard at all!

Seems like some comments on here (when I was trying to search the forum for the answer before I asked) were kind of negative about this phone.  I dont know why though! Its so cute and it sounds really good.  All I can say against it is that the ring sounds a little clangy when used as the wall phone.

dsk

I grew up with this type of telephone. (but with Oslo dial) Its a few tricks I learned long time after this was a common telephone. The W.E. Tricks with a little cotton in the handset to stop reduce feedback may help slightly. The adjustment of ringer by moving or bending on the bias spring may help if you get tinkling. The bells are eccentric, and may be turned to get the most pleasant sound. Maximum sound level when the clapper almost strike the bell when you press the anchor (rear moving plate) in on either side.
(This don't look like current English  >:(  )
The dial center would normally be a black plastic plate, or a black aluminum plate with the numbers on.

Why should this be less popular?  It is not decorative, at least not on table. It tends to be noisy because of the 50 ohms transmitter contains quite big granulates.

In Norway during the period 1953-1967 you could choose between this model in black, and from 56 you could get ivory against an extra fee, and grey from 1963.  ;D

It is made exactly 401 710 of thees in black.

The designer of this telephone is Johan Christian Bjerknes. He is also the designer who gave Jean Heiberg the job to make the bakelite modell used by Elektrisk Bureau, and LM Ericksson from 1932. This modell was the inspiration of the 302!

dsk