News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Getting a new (to me) 1A2 system up and running...

Started by compubit, November 07, 2015, 05:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

compubit

On my floor at work, there was a renovation started a couple of weeks ago on some empty space.  Anyway, one of the Comm closets will be entirely within that space - one that held some old 1A2 equipment (620A2 panel with 6 400E/H cards and power supply).  6 months ago, I disconnected power and incoming R/T for the circuit (just to be on the safe side), and it was still that way.  Long story short, construction was finishing and the Comm room was open. After a little midnight requisitioning (ok, 5pm requisitioning), I had the equipment out of there. (Good thing, as the next morning, the wall went up in front of the old Comm closet...).

Got the equipment home, and verified that the power supply is working (nice hum when plugged in, plus checked the voltages).

Next step is to do some testing... (Hooking up some wires directly to a 565 set and getting lights to work and go off hook before I start working on punching down).  Wish me luck!

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

compubit

Here's the video from YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJjv1ZA4oJI

Initial testing of a 1A2 Key Telephone System (AT&T 565 Phone and a 620A2 panel with 400E/400H cards). Phone is direct wired (using a 4 pair wire) to verify dial, line select, hold and ring operate. System is fed by one line from the Panasonic KX-TA624 PBX. Next step is to wire up 5 lines.
Note: the Panasonic does not provide "Calling Party Control" which would signal the Key System to disconnect if the other end hung up - I'll need to find a compatible ATA.
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

WesternElectricBen

Very nice pickup! Good luck on setting it up to your liking. You may want to add an intercom, so you can call station to station.

Here is a video of mine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OVo1sT4JCQ. Pardon my voice, this was a few years ago.

Ben

podor

Very nice! I'm glad you rescued another piece of telephone history. Was that a Panasonic PBX dial tone I heard? I've got a 616 running all 4 lines of my 551B. Now you just need a few (meaning several) more key sets ;)

compubit

It's a Panasonic KX-TA624 (so even more lines to play with!).

I have 4 other key sets - a 2564, a 2565, a 2851, and a 464G to go along with the 565.   Now if I could easily get one or 2 25 pair cables from the basement to the office upstairs...

I do love the convenience, though of VoIP as a "landline" source - 85ยข/month for an additional line (pay per minute, though).  Still have to get my C*Net line working, though...

Jim