News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

well, I finally got it done.....

Started by Babybearjs, June 10, 2016, 01:35:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Victor Laszlo

The minimum that I would suggest is schedule 40 PVC 2" conduit, a minimum of 18" below the surface.  I would also warn against using anything but shielded and flooded cable (black sheath, metallic shield, silicone-filled) 25-pair buried cable.  Most electrical supply places will cut whatever length you need. Pulling wire that is not intended for outdoor service, and using a conduit that is too small, without the required shielding and bonding, is just asking for trouble down the road.  Conduits fill up with moisture from leaks and condensation, which will make inside wire fail rapidly.  Conduits that are too small just make life miserable for you when you are making the initial pull, and in the future, when you want to add more wires.  Not using industry-standard procedures, such as primary protection at both ends, is just asking for more trouble when lightning hits. I guess you can continue on your project any way you want to, since it's your house and your hobby, but from a professional standpoint, why not do it the way the pros do it?  There's a satisfaction that comes from knowing that you did it like a real phone man would do it.

Babybearjs

well here is what I'm going to do.... I ordered 100 ft. of 4 pair Cat 5 cable in the following colors: Blue, Orange, Green Brown, Gray, and  Red. I'm going to pull these through the pipe and that way, I have a color coded reference to my connections. they will be connected to the 66 block under the house and to a group of 44A blocks inside my shed. (I would use a 66 block in the shed, but these are not being used, and are already to go.... ) then from there I'll add my modular jacks or IW as needed. wish me luck! as this IS going to work right this time!
John