News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 233G conversion In Progress

Started by HarrySmith, September 22, 2018, 02:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

OK, I have started on my first payphone conversion to a home phone. I dug out a WE 4228 network I had and pulled a ringer out of a Chinese trimline copy. I removed all the payphone stuff and installed the network & ringer. I found instructions on here for wiring it up: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=6521.0
I picked up the handset and I have dial tone! It makes outgoing calls and sounds great! The weird thing is nothing incoming. It does not ring and when I pick up the handset I get a busy signal. What am I doing wrong? How can it work one way and not the other?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

In reply #60 of the referenced topic, Bill states:

Here is the wiring:

1.  Make sure there is a jumper wire between BBX and BB on the hookswitch

Looks like you added a jumper from BKX to BB on the terminal block in the upper housing instead.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

Quote from: HarrySmith on September 22, 2018, 02:56:12 PM
OK, I have started on my first payphone conversion to a home phone. I dug out a WE 4228 network I had and pulled a ringer out of a Chinese trimline copy. I removed all the payphone stuff and installed the network & ringer. I found instructions on here for wiring it up: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=6521.0
I picked up the handset and I have dial tone! It makes outgoing calls and sounds great! The weird thing is nothing incoming. It does not ring and when I pick up the handset I get a busy signal. What am I doing wrong? How can it work one way and not the other?

Bill's directions are for connecting a C4A (4-wire) ringer, where red and black ringer wires connect to L2 and L1, and the slate and slate-red wires go to K and A....but you have a 2-wire ringer connected to L1 and L2 without a capacitor. The ringer needs to be in series with the capacitor (A and K).

HarrySmith

Yes, I misread that. There was already a jumper on the hookswitch from BBX to BB that I missed. I removed the jumper I put in the upper housing from BKX to BB. Now I get nothing, I have no dial tone anymore.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

You usually have to reverse the red and black dial wires at the terminal board in the upper housing, if you no longer have the gong transmitter and 5c electromagnet in the circuit. (Assuming the dial cord is connected to the correct terminals on the dial.)

HarrySmith

I no longer have any payphone stuff in it, no electro magnet or gongs. I am assuming the dial wires are correct, it does not look like it has been messed with. I will swap those 2 wires and see what happens. Thanks so much for your help!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

HarrySmith

I switched red & black, I had dial tone. I called in and got no ring, got a busy signal when picked up. Tried calling out & got busy also.
Connections picture attached. I am guessing my next step will have to be pulling the dial to check the connections. Am I correct?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

Is the ringer still connected to L1 and L2? Without a capacitor, it will busy out the line -- either right away, or when you call it it will "trip ring" and then keep the line off-hook (at least with a copper landline). What do you have connected to A and K on the 4228 NET?

HarrySmith

I connected the ringer to A & K as suggested.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

A and K is the capacitor, but it needs to be in series with the ringer. For example, connect line to L1 and L2, jumper from L2 to A, and ringer to L1 and K.

L2-------A (capacitor) K------ringer coil------L1

I would get the talk path to work (transmitter, dial, receiver, hookswitch) before connecting the ringer.

HarrySmith

I disconnected the ringer. Now I am back to where I started. I have dial tone when I pick up the handset. It calls out fine. I try to call in and when I pick up the handset I get a busy signal.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

Are you sure it's the pay phone that is the problem?
Have you tried calling back after the phone is un plugged.
If everything has been isolated on the payphone except the HS and network, I don't understand why it would still hold the line.
I wonder if the network is grounding to chassis.
KEN

HarrySmith

I use my Panasonic for testing phones, I do not have a land line anymore. I tried another phone and it works fine. I took the network loose from the phone, wrapped it up and just layed it inside so it is not touching the chassis. Same result.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

I have to wonder if it's a problem with the network. Something connected that shouldn't be. Wires from the payphone should only be hook switch  wires to term C and or RR. Those are the main to turn on the network. CO power should be to one or the other, and hook switch.
If you have any other connections that could be your problem.
KEN

HarrySmith

The connections on the network are:
GN to W hookswitch
RR to R hookswitch
L2 to Y hookswitch
R to TR handset
B to T handset
L1 jumpered to C
Line to L1 & S (no L2 terminal)

Picture below
Harry Smith