and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 302 on ebay uk

Started by david@london, March 04, 2012, 10:38:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

david@london

thanks to a helpful pointer, i bought this manual 302

...........http://tinyurl.com/7rlbb4h

it seems to be in pretty good nick - no cracks, just some scratches, a bit of paint on the housing and some corrosion spots on the dial blank.

i'm really pleased with this phone and have only given it a quick wipe + polish  and cleaned some whitish gunk off the inside of the shell .

cannot get transmitter cap off at present,  - right hand still fairly agonising after repeated tries last night.

dates i can see :

body  5-5-44

base   5-44

ringer  5-44

network 11-44

receiver  5-3-44

F1 W handset.    also stamped inside shell  H1 =

As  I don't have a clue about the internal wiring and how to get the phone to work here in the UK, hopefully someone can have a look at the photos i'm posting and let me know if i need to adjust/alter anything.  

i know i'll need to put in a new line cord. the present one only has 2 spade connexion wires connecting onto the network.  

where can i get a suitable replacement?  - presumably i wire it to the exact same terminals?  

thanks in advance for your help. i'm a total beginner at all this - but already getting a taste for tinkering with things.

Tom B

Hi David - nice looking phone! You should be able to fit a standard BT line cable to the phone, or more simply get a RJ11 / BT jack like this one

"http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Desk-Phone-Line-Cord-Telephone-Replacement-Cable-BT-Plug-RJ11-Plug-4P4C-1m-/190611338759"

and strip the RJ11 end. the red and white should relate to red and green on the existing line cord on the phone, or red to L2 and white to L1 on the phone's induction coil in your photo above this post. You should be able to get some spade clips off eBay pretty easily.
Let me know if you have a problem
Tom

gpo706

"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

twocvbloke

My jaw hurts from hitting the floor so hard!!! £14.99??? That's an absolute bargain!! I'd have bid on it myself if I had known it was there!! :o

Ah well, looks like you have a good phone there, handy for use on one of them Linksys VOIP adaptors converted for use as an intercom phone... ;D

Tom B

David got a good price there at £14.99
I got my manual 302 off eBay UK for £8 plus change.
Tom

david@london

many thanks tom, gpo706 & 2cvb!

i appreciate the help with this [for me] complex wiring project !!

naturally i'm still a bit confused:

tom -  you advise .............red wire to L2   +  white wire to L1

however the cord in gpo706's advert has 4 spade tipped wires:  red, white, green + blue. [i've blown the image to 400% + it looks that way]

but, if using the cord in gpo706's ad, do i just attach the red + white to L2 + L1 and leave the green + blue unattached?

again,  thanks in advance.

twocvbloke

Yeah, just use the Red & White wires and insulate the blue (ringer) & green (earth) wires, I did that with my red WE500, and it works fine like that... :)

canuckphoneguy

Wow! How do you find these phones at such great prices! I think I need to spend more time on EBAY :)

twocvbloke

Quote from: canuckphoneguy on March 04, 2012, 02:20:15 PM
Wow! How do you find these phones at such great prices! I think I need to spend more time on EBAY :)

You pretty much said it, spend more time on ebay, though not so much that it takes over your life... :D

gpo706

Dude I'm off for a week, must delete my ebay account... ;)

david@london

thanks guys........line cord arrived + it's hooked up as per. + the phone's  working fine now.  clear reception, ok transmitting, ok bells ringing.  condition green!

i really appreciate the help.

david.

Tom B

Great stuff David. Hope you enjoy using the phone ;D
Tom

gpo706

Thats great David.

If the cord isn't suitable you could always send the phone to me for errr "inspection..."

Seriously, that vendor does great cords in all the standard GPO colours, of course black goes with anything much.

twocvbloke

Quote from: gpo706 on March 06, 2012, 06:34:49 PMSeriously, that vendor does great cords in all the standard GPO colours, of course black goes with anything much.

My green 746's cable came from them, it looks nicer than the rest of the phone (In terms of fading and all that!!), came as part of a conversion kit, and I got an Ivory/cream cable for the given-away 746, so another positive review of the seller... :D

gpo706

I forgot to ask you David, did you keep the grommet and tuck it in the case or remove it.

Not had a 302 so dont know the cable entries, but "mousehole" sized entries for non-modular 500s the GPO grommet fits snugly behind the mousehole.