News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

restored 302, clapper has got a mind of it's own.

Started by persido, November 03, 2013, 09:44:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

persido

This is the latest 302 that I have restored, the outer parts came out great, I'm even recovering the feet now as well.
The problem with the phone is after I reconnected all the wires the phone would not ring, so I switched the red and green wires, so in other words I placed the green to line 1 and the red to line 2, and  the phone rings, but now when the phone is not in use, the clapper hits one of the bells, like every 30 to 40 Min's.  Is there any thing I can do to stop this ?  Is there a reason why the ringer was not working when the wires were connected in there correct postions ? Thank you.........Scot

Doug Rose

Scot...try adjusting the bias spring right under the clapper rod.....Doug
Kidphone

Sargeguy

If that doesn't work you may try rotating the bells so that the bell is further from the clapper.  302 bell holes are offset, so turning them alters the distance from the clapper.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Actually, from a second look at the pictures it looks like your bells are already spread out.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

HarrySmith

It looks like the red wire is a jumper, connected between L1 & L2, I do not think that is correct.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Kenton K

I believe the spring on the bell is at the weakest setting. If you move the spring to the middle notch, it may fix the problem.

Ken

persido

Thanks Doug, Sargeguy, Harry, Kenton, yes the problem was the bias spring, I moved it to the middle and the problem is fixed, thanks again you guys are the best. You are right Harry, in the last picture it dose look like a jumper wire between L1 and L2, but it is not, good eye Harry.....Scot

poplar1

Quote from: Kenton K on November 03, 2013, 10:45:05 AM
I believe the spring on the bell is at the weakest setting. If you move the spring to the middle notch, it may fix the problem.

Ken

When the spring is as pictured, that is the highest tension. Normally, it should be in this position only if you have a total of only one phone ringing.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Quote from: HarrySmith on November 03, 2013, 10:39:24 AM
It looks like the red wire is a jumper, connected between L1 & L2, I do not think that is correct.
No, the red wire comes from the ringer, and the wires on L2Y are the yellow ones, not red.

But why is the GN wire lug not under the screw, how is it held in place, if at all? Poor connection there?

unbeldi

Quote from: persido on November 03, 2013, 09:44:49 AM
This is the latest 302 that I have restored, the outer parts came out great, I'm even recovering the feet now as well.
The problem with the phone is after I reconnected all the wires the phone would not ring, so I switched the red and green wires, so in other words I placed the green to line 1 and the red to line 2, and  the phone rings, but now when the phone is not in use, the clapper hits one of the bells, like every 30 to 40 Min's.  Is there any thing I can do to stop this ?  Is there a reason why the ringer was not working when the wires were connected in there correct postions ? Thank you.........Scot
Do you have any kind of transient pulses on the line?  Is the line entangled somewhere with AC house wiring? Intermittant ringing like this could indeed be mitigated by bias adjustment, but the root cause should really be investigated.

persido

Yes when I took the picture GN wire was not connected, I did connect it before closing her up.

G-Man

Unbeldi has a good point; why are you experiencing a transient pulse on your line every 30 – 40 minutes?

Is your instrument connected to conventional telephone line or are you receiving service through your cable company?

Quote from: unbeldi on November 03, 2013, 02:10:36 PM
Quote from: persido on November 03, 2013, 09:44:49 AM
The problem with the phone is after I reconnected all the wires the phone would not ring, so I switched the red and green wires, so in other words I placed the green to line 1 and the red to line 2, and  the phone rings, but now when the phone is not in use, the clapper hits one of the bells, like every 30 to 40 Min's.  Is there any thing I can do to stop this ?  Is there a reason why the ringer was not working when the wires were connected in there correct postions ? Thank you.........Scot
Do you have any kind of transient pulses on the line?  Is the line entangled somewhere with AC house wiring? Intermittant ringing like this could indeed be mitigated by bias adjustment, but the root cause should really be investigated.

poplar1

On 1AESS BellSouth used to automatically check every line around 12:30 a.m. Whatever they did would cause a burst of bell tap.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Quote from: poplar1 on November 03, 2013, 05:37:17 PM
On 1AESS BellSouth used to automatically check every line around 12:30 a.m. Whatever they did would cause a burst of bell tap.
I am sure the NSA can achieve that every hour.

persido

I have Verizon for my phone service, I have 4 telephones that ring thru out the house. This was the only phone having this issue.