News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Need a part for my scissor arm

Started by wds, June 30, 2011, 09:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

I finally picked up one of those scissor arms for the candlestick phone, and was getting ready to mount the necessary parts from one of my candlesticks when I figured out that the hookswitch from the candlestick is too long.  I need a shorter one that fits the stem on the scissor arm.  Does anyone have one they can part with?
Dave

Sargeguy

I just won a similar scissor arm off eBay.  The mount is the desk type mount, not the wall type you have, but otherwise looks the same.  Are you saying that the shaft is too short for a standard switchplate, or that the hook itself does not fit??? Thanks.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

The stem on the scissor arm is the same length as the stem on a candlestick - however, the stem on the scissor arm has a cap on the bottom - on a regular candlestick the stem is open, and the hookswitch goes on down into the base.  So, the correct switch for the scissor stem would not have that extension on the bottom to mount to the bottom plate.  I would post a picture of the correct switch, but I can't find one.  Hope this makes sense.

Maybe someone out there has one of the scissor candlesticks, and can post a picture of the switch?
Dave

wds

Maybe I'm calling this part by the wrong name - it's the switch plate, not the switch hook, or hookswitch.  
Dave

Sargeguy

I don't know what to call it either, switchplate, switch bracket, hookswitch assembly, switch-hook assembly.  I would like to see what one looks like as well. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

Finally got a picture.
Dave

Sargeguy

Hmmm. Well, it doesn't look like it would be too hard to modify a standard switch with a hacksaw, pliers and a drill.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

cihensley@aol.com

wds:

Is that a picture of what you need or the one that is too long to fit?

Chuck

Sargeguy

That's the one he (and I) both need.

What perch markings did scissor phones use?  Would a 20-AL stamped perch be correct or did they use another designation? ???
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

I had thought about modifying a regular switchplate, but I was worried that the metal may not be that pliable.  If that extension on the end breaks off, then I'll need two switchplates.  Plus, I'd like to use original equipment if possible.  I have some feelers out - if I find one I'll ask for two of them.
Dave

Doug Rose

My limited knowledge on these is the one you bought is not a true candlestick as it does not have a base, just a cap at the end of the tube. The small tube screws onto the scissor. It uses a smaller switch plate and they are NOT interchangeable. I have two of these and bought one complete and the other was just the candlestick piece which I thought I could use to build a stick. Wrong!  When I was in the ATCA a collector had the scissor for sale in the Want Ads that was matched for this small stick that screwed directly into the tube. Long story, short answer; they are not compatible. I also have a scissor that tightens around the tube of a "real" candlestick or a D1 or B1 neck. .Doug
Kidphone

cihensley@aol.com

Sargeguy:

My scissor phone perch is numbered 42D or 48D. It is hard to make out the second number.

Chuck

wds

I ended up mounting a different candlestick to the 47A scissor until I find the right switchplate for the stem.  

I also found a 48D, where the candlestick actually screws to the scissor arm, instead of clamping like the one above.  Cleaned it up, and now I'm looking for a place to mount it.  
Dave

Sargeguy

Quote from: wds on July 19, 2011, 06:31:19 PMCleaned it up, and now I'm looking for a place to mount it.  

Hood Ornament!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409