"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I Just Won a Stromberg Carlson 1191 - Pictures Added

Started by LarryInMichigan, July 14, 2010, 08:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250663886741

I was expecting this to go for much more.  I guess that the lack of a dial held the price down.  I hope that this is an original 1930s SC.

Larry

Dennis Markham

Cool phone, Larry.  I think you got a great deal.  Congrats.

LarryInMichigan

I think that this may be an 1191 which has a built-in network and ringer.

Larry

Dennis Markham

JorgeAmely

Just what I thought, Losantville, IN is close to the border with Michigan.  >:(
Jorge

LarryInMichigan

QuoteJust what I thought, Losantville, IN is close to the border with Michigan.

Jorge,

Why don't you come to live here in Michigan?  Houses in my neighborhood have been selling in the $50-$60K range.

BTW, several of my best phones came from California.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

The phone arrived today.  It is an SC 1191.  It is mostly in great condition but quite dirty, dusty, and rusty, and it contains the remains of some antique arachnids (Briny, I can send them to you if you give me your address ;D).  I connected it, but I get no dial tone, though it does take the line off-hook.  The caps on the handset are quite stuck.  It looks like I now have another fun project to do.

Here are pictures of the inside of the shell and the wiring diagram inside the bottom cover.  Once everything is clean and working, i may post more pictures.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

One really interesting thing about this phone is that the round metal piece which covers the opening where one would expect a dial to be is actually the gong for the ringer.

Larry

McHeath

Neat phone.  I've not seen anything like it, they sure packed in the components.  And the dial blank is the gong, that's clever.

paul-f

Nice!

I don't think you'll find many other phones where the ringer gong is also the number card holder!
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

LarryInMichigan

I finished fixing, cleaning, polishing, and reassembling the phone, and it works surprisingly well now.  There was alot of rust in the receiver capsule, and one of the wires to the coil was broken.  I soaked the rusty parts in CLR and brushed off the rust with an old toothbrush.  The diaphragm was especially rusty, and after the rust was removed, small holes were left so I can see through it.  I had to partially unwind one of the ends of the receiver coil and resolder it.  Here is a blurry picture of the back of the ringer.  The clapper strikes the tab which sticks out from the gong.

Another one of these phones, in worse condition, sold on ebay today for somewhat more: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130411597040

Larry

Kenny C

did you say this phone was from the 1930's if so it pretty advanced for its time didnt most desksets have external ringers in the 1930's
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

LarryInMichigan

Kenny,

Stromberg Carlson did not date stamp their phones back then, so I do not know the date the this one was made, but it does appear in the 1936 Stromberg Carlson catalog, and the image with the description posted above is from 1936.  Most phones at that time, including all Western Electric models, did require an external subset.  Check out http://strombergcarlsontelephone.com/S-C%20PDF/1936%20S-C%20BUL%2036-J.pdf if you are interested.  This phone is shown on pages 11 and 12 of the document.

Larry

bingster

Larry, have you heard it ring yet?  I'm curious as to what sort of sound it makes.  I'd think that with the dial blank fastened to the base, it wouldn't make a "ring" sound like a free gong would.
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

Quote from: JorgeAmely on July 15, 2010, 12:34:10 AM
Just what I thought, Losantville, IN is close to the border with Michigan.  >:(

Jorgew;
Ditto that  >:(
Nice phone however..
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson