"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I Just Won a Stromberg Carlson 1191 - Pictures Added

Started by LarryInMichigan, July 14, 2010, 08:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

Bingster,

It does ring well, but the sound is not quite as nice as a dual-gong ringer.  The gong is not actually fastened to the base. It is held by a post in its center to a bracket which is held to the shell with two screws and to which the ringer coils are attached.  This drawing from 1936 the SC bulletin shows the construction.

Larry

bingster

Ahh, that makes sense.  That's rather an ingenious little feature.
= DARRIN =

AE_Collector

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on July 25, 2010, 08:47:14 PM
did you say this phone was from the 1930's if so it pretty advanced for its time didnt most desksets have external ringers in the 1930's

AE's first "self contained" set was the AE#2 from app 1928. I think that discussions on other lists came to the conclusion that the AE #2 was likely North America's first self contained desk phone.

When was the 302 introduced...1934?

Terry

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

AE_Collector

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on August 08, 2010, 03:36:41 PM
1937 was the first year of production.

Okay, so WECo was quite behid AECo at that time. The self contained AE 2 was about 1928 and then the AE 34 came out about 1934. Then the WECo 302 finally in 1937 and AECo had the AE 34 upgraded to the AE 40 by 1939.

Terry

Wallphone

I finally got around to finding my SC "dial ringer" and testing it. It kind of surprised me as to how well it sounded. It has a nice after ring to it. I'm hoping my attachment of a wav. file works. Here goes it.
Dougpav

Dennis Markham

Doug, your wav file sounds good on this end.  Great ring.

LarryInMichigan

Doug,

It sounds fine here.  The ringer does sound good, just a bit flatter than a dual-gong ringer.

Larry

JorgeAmely

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on July 15, 2010, 06:24:46 AM
QuoteJust what I thought, Losantville, IN is close to the border with Michigan.

Jorge,

Why don't you come to live here in Michigan?  Houses in my neighborhood have been selling in the $50-$60K range.

BTW, several of my best phones came from California.

Larry

I would face too much competition from you, Dennis, Donna, Craig and a few others from MI.  ;D ;D ;D
Jorge

LarryInMichigan

I frequently see good phones on craigslist in and around Simi Valley, CA.  There are rarely any good craigslist phones in southeastern MI.

Larry

Doug Rose

Larry....that's it! What a different phone....Doug
Kidphone