News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Found at fleamarket and would like to restore. How difficult would it be?

Started by bazzle68, November 13, 2013, 09:10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bazzle68

I recently purchases part of an Automatic Electric pay phone and would like some more info on it. I would also like advice on restoring it and how much I would need to spend to get vintage parts for it. It needs to be cleaned and the dial turns slow.

Phonesrfun

You are missing about 2/3 of the phone in terms of total size.  You have the upper housing.  What you still need is the lower housing which also comprises the back of the phone.  The lower housing has the coin chute, coin relay coin vault and coin return.

Someone here might have one.  Ray Kotke just bought a bunch of pay phones and pay phone parts, but I think his might all be Western and Gray Western.  Yours is an automatic electric upper housing.
-Bill G

G-Man

Here is a start:

www.ebay.com/itm/161147577596

For additional parts or other alternatives, email Mike Davis or call Paul Vaverchak.

Jim Stettler

I have a spare backplate and bottom box for an AE payphone. I am not sure how complete it is. It was part of a deal with a NE 1236 10-button payphone. I will look at it tonite and let you know.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Jim Stettler

The base/backboard I was thinking of is a WE, However I did dig out an AE backboard and lower housing, I have had it floating around for 18 years. It does not have a coin relay. I also have a decent vault door (chrome) . I will try to post a couple of photos tomorrow.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.