and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bevelled edge WECO *229* in black

Started by Sargeguy, January 20, 2013, 10:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

Final price $440.   :o

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170975393927

I bought a nickel version of the same transmitter for $500 a few weeks back.  Mine had an as-removed-from-service New England Telephone marked two-boxer with 122 pony receiver attached to it, however.  The really early black painted WE stuff, especially with  American Bell Telephone markings, can be hard to find though, so I'm not surprised. 

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

HowardPgh

The perch that it was with looks strange.-Howard
Howard

Russ Kirk

Quote from: HowardPgh on January 21, 2013, 12:13:37 PM
The perch that it was with looks strange.-Howard

I am far from being an expert,  but the patina is different on the perch and shaft is showing some brass where it meets the perch.  Something was changed in the past.   It would make me wary spending a4440 on the eBay phone.....

I don't disagree that it is a hard to find phone, maybe all parts are are the same age,  just not from the same unit.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Sargeguy

The perch and the shaft are pretty much irrelevant to the cost.  I am sure the buyer has plans for the transmitter that do not involve an extension arm.  While the shaft and perch are worth something, here is what contributes to the value:

1. The rarity of the WE beveled edge transmitter

2. It is Bell System/ABT marked (*229*)

3. It is painted black.  The cup is not notched, it has the solid lug, and the knurled nut.  Examples of this cup are common with notches instead of holed and riveted hollow lugs.  These are from newer re-furbs and not worth much.  Early stuff (pre-1905) with an original black finish can be hard to come by.  Stuff with ABT markings is even harder to find, since they used less black stuff and more nickel, or recycled all their black sets, or something. 

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409