News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

May we split a S.C. 1240 to make a normal desktop phone?

Started by dsk, February 22, 2014, 10:07:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

Looking at pictures are this just a regular housing with a hole for the crank, and an extra base unit?
could it be splitted to make a regular CB telephone.

If Yes, was this common in the times when everything was made for lasting in 100 years or so? ;D

dsk

G-Man

I'm not positive what the question is but Kellogg and Stromberg Carlson did make an insert containing a small magneto for some of their desk sets so that it could be sandwiched in between the base-plate and housing.

When the exchange was converted from magneto the insert could be removed and with a few wiring changes and/or new induction coil and if applicable, a dial, it would work with a common battery exchange. 

Kenton K

I'm sure you could turn it into a 'normal' phone by removing the bottom box, magneto, and LB network. You will have to find a CB network for it though, which could be a 500 network if you just want to make it work. I found a SC 1240 that still had the magneto box still attached, but not connected, and it had a 425 network inside. So it worked like a CB phone, albeit a very large one.

K

dsk

Here is a picture from Ebay:
dsk

G-Man

Quote from: dsk on February 22, 2014, 11:54:16 AM
Here is a picture from Ebay:
dsk

Is the seller calling it a 1240? Isn't actually a 1248?

G-Man

I just finished searching eBay and found the listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1940S-STROMBERG-CARLSON-BLACK-METAL-HAND-CRANK-DESK-TELEPHONE-/161054265229?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item257f950f8d

I may have missed it however there is no model number shown so it is most likely a 1248W instead of a 1240. Also, it was intended for the exchange owner to be  able to readily convert it to common battery operation.

G-Man

Quote from: Kenton K on February 22, 2014, 11:54:07 AM
I'm sure you could turn it into a 'normal' phone by removing the bottom box, magneto, and LB network. You will have to find a CB network for it though, which could be a 500 network if you just want to make it work. I found a SC 1240 that still had the magneto box still attached, but not connected, and it had a 425 network inside. So it worked like a CB phone, albeit a very large one.

K

The use of SC 1240 is misnomer and whoever converted it with a 425 network apparently did not realize that it contained a universal network that could have been simply rewired for common battery service.

G-Man

Also, Leich is another manufacturer that made an insert/spacer for converting their desksets to magneto operation.

dsk

Thank you for all the answers.

I may absolutely have missed something, so I guess 1248 are the right ID.

dsk