"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Here are my 3 New Northern Electric 233HS3/4 Payphones

Started by GeorgeHC, July 01, 2018, 09:30:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeorgeHC

Hi All,

I recently purchased these Northern Electric 233HS3/4 payphones.  I chose these 3 from a bunch the seller had.  They were the cleanest examples of the three different fingerwheel / dial plate combinations.

Internals are as removed from service, but the vault door locks have been removed.  I'm not sure if the upper housing secondary locks have been changed out.   From what I have read and been told these secondary locks are usually the "barrel" type with a tubular key, but these all have a more conventional lock and the same key opens all of them.  Original centre upper lock is blanked out.

George

FABphones

Welcome.
I quite fancy one of these myself, nice phones.  :)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Ktownphoneco

HarrySmith

Nice! I see why you were asking about the payphone controller now. Those are some nice examples. Are payphones your only interest? Do you have any others? We love pictures! BTW - Welcome to the forum! You have found the best forum on the net, full of knowledgeable, experienced people who love to help.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Great looking Payphones George. Welcome to the Forum.....Doug
Kidphone

Pourme

Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

RotarDad

George - Nice set of payphones!  Welcome!   The phone on the right has the blank dial plate which was designed for a metal fingerwheel.  It now has the plastic wheel which is pretty common due refurbishment of payphones.  The dots on the dial plate (phone 2) were designed to aid in identifying the finger holes when a clear plastic wheel was installed at the factory.  Your set is very nice and corrosion-free.  They likely spent their lives mounted indoors.
Paul

GeorgeHC

Thanks all, what nice warm welcomes!

Yes I have already found this forum to be an amazing resource on all things phone-related. 

I have been collecting phones since I was 12, so for 35 years now.  Lots of keyphones and related stuff, including a working 212KTU that supports 3 CO lines.   

I'm relatively new to payphones, however, as the three Northerns were my first ones and I only just got them in June.   

I seem to be hooked, though, because since then I have bought a green WE 233G and a Chrome NE 2236QC from eBay (seller pics attached).  The green WE arrived last week, but I only bought the chrome TT yesterday.

HarrySmith

OK, If you have been collecting for 35 years you should have a pretty good collection! Please add some pictures to the members collection topic. We would love to see your collection.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

Is the green one from seller harrowdown-hill2? If so, it appears to have one of Stan's networks in place of the usual T-TR-L terminal block. I was wondering if it also has his coin controller built in (maybe inside the vault)?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

GeorgeHC

Yes poplar1, the green 233G is the one sold by harrowdown-hill2.  I believe he is selling off phone related items from his father's collection.

It has a network installed (didn't know it was one of Stan's) but sadly no coin controller. 

oldguy

Welcome George, I think you will enjoy the forum. Great looking phones.
Gary

Fushigi Ojisan

I'm a new guy too George!

Was looking at your Northern Electric Chrome TT, it looks a lot like mine!   Feel free to tack on my thread

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=20634.0
Fushigi Ojisan
Otaku with interesting hobbies

GeorgeHC

Hi Fushigi,

Thanks for the heads-up about your chrome NE 2236 thread - it is the same model as mine.

George