News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Need help with Panasonic 616/308 proprietary phone

Started by cloyd, February 02, 2016, 01:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cloyd

Here is more information for everyone.  I really do appreciate all of the help.
The phone does not have power on any of the extension lines 11-19.  I know extension 13 doesn't work with my WE500 but all of the others do work.  Doesn't that show that the outer two wires are OK?  They are getting power if not data.
I checked all of the cables that I have been switching out and they are 4 wire cables with one being a 6-wire cable.

I have included photos and I am happy to supply more if necessary.  Perhaps someone with an eagle eye will spot something wrong.

Thank you,
Tina
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

cloyd

These are just photos of the other cables that I have tried replacing the original 4wire cable with.
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

Jack Ryan

Quote from: unbeldi on February 03, 2016, 08:03:37 PM
The first extension number on a 308 system is No. 11.  They don't start at 1.  A 308 or 616 system cannot be extended with addons, except for the door intercom module which plugs into the rear bay.

In that case the US 308 is totally different from the Australian version. The Australian version can be extended and although the extension numbers do not start at 1, the extension jacks do.

Jack

Ktownphoneco

Attached is an installation manual for the Panasonic KX-T30810 is attached.      I don't have time at the moment to start reading the relevant portions of the manual, however it does state that ext. 11 "MUST BE" a Panasonic KX-T30830 proprietary telephone set.   That's stated on page 1-4.   
I'll have a better look at the manual in the morning unless someone else has time to look at it.

Jeff Lamb

unbeldi

Quote from: Ktownphoneco on February 03, 2016, 10:22:33 PM
Attached is an installation manual for the Panasonic KX-T30810 is attached.      I don't have time at the moment to start reading the relevant portions of the manual, however it does state that ext. 11 "MUST BE" a Panasonic KX-T30830 proprietary telephone set.   That's stated on page 1-4.   
I'll have a better look at the manual in the morning unless someone else has time to look at it.

Jeff Lamb

Well, when these system were designed and the manuals were printed, the KX-T30830 was the only PT set that had the feature. The 7030s came out with a later generation of KX-systems, but were designed for backward compatibility.  I posted a chart at one time that outlined some of that.  The KX-T30830 sets are rather hard to find these days, and usually at a high price, while 7030s are cheap and apparently plentiful.
I do have a 30830, so I have not found the need to actually test the compatibility, but we do have several posts here where this was discussed.

unbeldi

Quote from: Jack Ryan on February 03, 2016, 09:18:34 PM
The first extension number on a 308 system is No. 11.  They don't start at 1.  A 308 or 616 system cannot be extended with addons, except for the door intercom module which plugs into the rear bay.

In that case the US 308 is totally different from the Australian version. The Australian version can be extended and although the extension numbers do not start at 1, the extension jacks do.

Jack

You are probably referencing a system from a different generation. Even the British versions of these are essentially the same and none of these early small types were expandable.  The largest of the series, the 123210 used plugin cards for groups of station, and these were available with not all cards installed.
There were some models, however, and I may be thinking of the first generation 616 (not 61610), that had the extension number starting at 21, IIRC.

unbeldi

Quote from: cloyd on February 03, 2016, 08:44:18 PM
The phone does not have power on any of the extension lines 11-19.  I know extension 13 doesn't work with my WE500 but all of the others do work.  Doesn't that show that the outer two wires are OK?  They are getting power if not data.
I checked all of the cables that I have been switching out and they are 4 wire cables with one being a 6-wire cable.

I have included photos and I am happy to supply more if necessary.  Perhaps someone with an eagle eye will spot something wrong.

Thank you,
Tina

The power supplied on the outer pins is only for operation of the digital circuitry in the phone, including the display, not for operating the transmitter and dial on a traditional analog phone connected to only the center pins.  Those carry the normal signals needed for standard analog phones, i.e. talk battery and ringing.

Ktownphoneco

Thanks Karl.    That's good to know.     

Jeff

Jack Ryan

Quote from: unbeldi on February 03, 2016, 10:42:50 PM
You are probably referencing a system from a different generation. Even the British versions of these are essentially the same and none of these early small types were expandable.  The largest of the series, the 123210 used plugin cards for groups of station, and these were available with not all cards installed.

Perhaps, but different from what? There was no specific model given that I noticed. I was referring to a KX-TA308 which is expandable.

Jack

poplar1

Jack

There were some models, however, and I may be thinking of the first generation 616 (not 61610), that had the extension number starting at 21, IIRC.

The British KX-T30810BE has extensions 21-28, not 11-18. The manual below shows a KX-T7130E for programming; so it's not only the early version KSUs that have 21-28.

http://www.htcnetworks.co.uk/308%20Installation%20manual.PDF
(link provided by twocvbloke: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13541.msg141652#msg141652)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

cloyd

Quote from: unbeldi on February 03, 2016, 10:48:30 PM

Thank you,
Tina

The power supplied on the outer pins is only for operation of the digital circuitry in the phone, including the display, not for operating the transmitter and dial on a traditional analog phone connected to only the center pins.  Those carry the normal signals needed for standard analog phones, i.e. talk battery and ringing.

Have we decided that my 308 is faulty?  I can still use it to handle my extensions but I would rather they didn't all ring at night.  Is there any way to program without the Proprietary Telephone?

Unbeldi, as I recall, you told me that when I turn off the 308, out cordless phone will still operate but the extensions will not.  Correct?

Thank you all,

Tina

Tina

poplar1

We know that the third ext. port is dead. And that your 302 won't function on the system.
However, we still don't know if it's a bad KX-T7030 phone, or a bad KX-T30810 key system.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Quote from: Jack Ryan on February 03, 2016, 11:20:08 PM

Perhaps, but different from what? There was no specific model given that I noticed. I was referring to a KX-TA308 which is expandable.

Jack

I see, that is what I suspected.   The TA line was called the Advanced Hybrid System and came out later and was indeed modular.  Here on the forum there is a long-standing tradition, so it seems, to call the early models just by their 3-digit number, rather than the full model number, KX-T...
The first series of these was indeed just numbered by three digits,  KX-T206, 308, 616, 1232.  The next series added two digits (10), KX-T20610, 30810, 61610, 123210.

We should be more precise in naming these, as Panasonic made at least four of five system generations that used the three digit designations as the 'core' identifiers. I think this has caused confusion in the past.

See here for my (also incomplete) summary.

unbeldi

Quote from: poplar1 on February 04, 2016, 01:08:02 AM

Jack

The British KX-T30810BE has extensions 21-28, not 11-18. The manual below shows a KX-T7130E for programming; so it's not only the early version KSUs that have 21-28.

http://www.htcnetworks.co.uk/308%20Installation%20manual.PDF
(link provided by twocvbloke: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13541.msg141652#msg141652)

Ok, thanks for clarifying that.
I couldn't remember actually just which one it was that started not at 11.  I had one of those some, perhaps ten or so, years ago, and didn't record the details of what it was.  These systems were made for many countries with specific details, that I think were simply software nuances.

unbeldi

Quote from: cloyd on February 04, 2016, 09:01:47 AM
Quote from: unbeldi on February 03, 2016, 10:48:30 PM

Thank you,
Tina

Have we decided that my 308 is faulty?  I can still use it to handle my extensions but I would rather they didn't all ring at night.  Is there any way to program without the Proprietary Telephone?

Unbeldi, as I recall, you told me that when I turn off the 308, out cordless phone will still operate but the extensions will not.  Correct?

Thank you all,

Tina

Tina

Yes.  When the system is powered off or looses utility power, the relay switches on each of the first three ports reset and connect the station ports directly to the CO ports, so that the PBX is taken completely out of the telephony paths.

CO line 1   ---->  Ext. 11
CO line 2   ---->  Ext. 12
CO line 3   ---->  Ext. 13

In this power fail mode, the proprietary telephone should still work to make a call, but the phone will not ring on incoming calls, nor will the display function.  But when picked up you should have dial tone.  A standard analog telephone functions as if directly connected to the CO line, in fact they are directly connected in that case.
That said, you can plug the proprietary telephones directly into a PSTN line, and they can dial calls in either pulse mode or touch-tone mode.