News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

500 dial ring problems

Started by Sargeguy, March 23, 2009, 10:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

I just bought a WECO junker 554 set to use with my NECO color change set.  The dial ring won't fit .  The NECO ring has 3 tabs and the one on the 554 has 5 weird oddly shaped tabs.  Do I need to find another dial?  If so, which one?
Thanks
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dennis Markham

There are different dial rings for the 7, 8 and 9 series dials.  I'm not sure which takes which.  Can you put a photo on of what you have?

Sargeguy

Pics

The Blue is the NECO that I want to use, the beige is from the 554 I have
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Here is the dial
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dennis Markham

Sarge, and that blue dial ring does not fit on that dial?  Are there the three slots for the retainer ring to slip under?

Sargeguy

Keep in mind that I usually only work on #7 dials with metal fingerwheels.  Do I need to take the spider off?  If I do will the spring pop off?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dennis Markham

No, do not take the spider off.  I was trying to study the photos to see the differences.  Actually I'm going to have to look through some of mine to see if I can find one like it and see what dial is on that phone.  Can you look on the back of the dial and tell me if that is a 9C or an 8 series?

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dennis Markham

Give me a few minutes...I'll see if I can locate one and report back.

Dennis Markham

OK, here's what I found out.  I think the rings you have there are for the later dial...the model 9CA.  I rummaged thru my junk and grabbed two...one is a 9CA and the other is a 9CAM.  I'm not sure what the designation codes are but the 9CA was dated 4-1975 and the 9CAM was dated 1979.  The 9C dial fits in the dial ring with the two half moon tabs.  I took some photos to show you.  Now, if you would like a 9CA dial, I'm sure I have one that I can spare.  I generally don't deal with anything that new and I probably stripped a phone for the plastic and/or some other part and have the newer dial left over.  Here are the photos I just took.

#1 is the 9C dial with the half moon dial ring and retainer clip.

#2 & #3 will be the 9CA (front and back) with the appropriate dial ring.  This dial has the little black tab on the front and the finger stop is the square bottomed stop that snaps into a plastic retainer ring rather than having a screw to hold it in place.

Dennis Markham

In addition.......your blue ring is like the black one I just posted.  That requires a 9CA dial.

Dennis Markham

I take that back.  The upper right hand side is similar but the bottom tabs look different.

Sargeguy

My dial is a "9C 3" dated 4-66.  I have a 9CA, but it doesn't fit that one either.  The set is not dated but the original box says "AQUA BLUE TEL SET 554 BR 62".  Could it be a #8?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Wait, isn't the 8 the Princess dial?  Maybe its a Northern Electric thing?  Here is a better picture of the plate:

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

McHeath

One thing is for sure, that's going to be a pretty nice 554 when you find the right dial for that bezel.