News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Coming soon...

Started by Greg G., December 24, 2009, 01:35:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I opted for a 553a wall phone from an ATCA member instead of the local apt. phone I found on CL that I mentioned in another thread.  Biggest reason was the 553a was more budget-sensitive. 

Anyway, probably be here in a week or so, here's the pics:
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

Hey,

Congratulations.  It should clean up nicely, and with that bulldog transmitter, you should have a good sound.  It is the later design that has an F1 transmitter, the same as is in a 302.  The receiver may also have an "updated" HA1 element in it, which is also from the 302 era.

The only problem with that phone will be the same that I have with mine.  The problem is inherent with the design, and that is there is mechanical sound from the dial that you can hear in the receiver when the dial winds down after dialing.  It is not greatly objectionable, but with the metal case and the transmitter bolted to the case you will hear what I am talking about. 

It does look like a nice and complete phone!

-Bill

-Bill G

HobieSport

Congratulations from me too, Briny. Now I swear that I've seen a 553a in an old movie somewhere...but where? I'm thinking a Bogart or Carry Grant movie...or maybe both. Now I'll be watching for it. 8)
-Matt

Greg G.

Quote from: HobieSport on December 24, 2009, 02:39:15 AM
Congratulations from me too, Briny. Now I swear that I've seen a 553a in an old movie somewhere...but where? I'm thinking a Bogart or Carry Grant movie...or maybe both. Now I'll be watching for it. 8)

I think I saw it in the "phones in movies" thread.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

HobieSport

Quote from: Brinybay

Nope; I just checked (all 16 pages) but I'll be watching for your phone in movies from now on. I really like the simple design of the WE 553s. I think there's a similarly designed model made by AE?
-Matt

Greg G.

Quote from: HobieSport on December 24, 2009, 02:56:01 AM
Quote from: Brinybay

Nope; I just checked (all 16 pages) but I'll be watching for your phone in movies from now on. I really like the simple design of the WE 553s. I think there's a similarly designed model made by AE?

Hmm, well, I know I saw it somewhere too, and it was Bogart, I think.
- Mike Row
e

HobieSport

I really think that it was Bogart too. Either "The Big Sleep", "To Have and Have Not" , or "The Maltese Falcon". Oh well, I guess I'll just have to watch all three movies again. But I can fast forward through them for the phones. I'm on the case! 8)

P.S. I just noticed your new avatar photo. Classy!
-Matt

foots

I think it's in The Big Sleep. I watched that a few days ago and I think I saw one there.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Greg G.

Quote from: HobieSport on December 24, 2009, 03:06:26 AM

P.S. I just noticed your new avatar photo. Classy!

Thank you!  I was showing off my new hat and also wore my Christmas tie.
- Mike Row
e

HobieSport

Cool picture! When you get your 553, and if I can find and post a movie shot here with a 553, maybe from "The Big Sleep", then maybe you can pose like Bogart for yet another cool avatar. 8)

Ya know, I think wearing a fedora should really be required dress code whenever speaking on any phone that's, say, pre-1960... ;)
-Matt

HobieSport

Well, I went through "The Big Sleep" and the only wall phone I saw in the movie was this pay phone, I assume a WE model. But most importantly, Bogart is wearing a fedora... ;)
-Matt

bwanna

nice find, greg. i like your tie, too :D
donna

benhutcherson

Very nice, and it should clean up nicely, too.

There was one of those hanging in the kitchen of the Taylor's house in Andy Griffith.

Dennis Markham

Greg, nice phone.  That will be a fun project to clean that up and get it working.  I've always wanted to get a phone in that style and have yet to do so.  It's on my want list with the colored 302's, and a Dark Gray 554 and..........................

LarryInMichigan

Briny,
Make sure, when you mount it on your wall, that you mount it at the correct height so that you can speak into the transmitter comfortably without having to stand on your toes or hunch over.  I made that mistake when I mounted my oak wall phone.  I am short, and I nearly have to stand on my toes to speak into the transmitter.  I hadn't thought enough about that issue before I drilled four holes through the wallpaper.

I imagine that this must have been an important consideration when installing wall phones in the old days.  I wonder if the phone companies had official installation practices which called for asking the customer to stand next to the wall to determine where to mount the phone.  What would have been done in an installation in a home with a tall husband and a short wife?

Larry