News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Switching to Comcast Phone - VOIP

Started by Rigger1, February 13, 2011, 10:29:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rigger1

Hi,  I recently decided to switch to Comcast, who was running a attractive package deal for phone, internet and TV. I didn't give any thought to my rotary phones when I decided to make the switch. I am sure that I will have to get a tone pule generator. I was wondering if anyone else is using Comcast and how it is working for them. I am also hoping that I can install one T/P generator for the system and not need one at each phone. Can any one share their experience with me?  Thanks !   Bill

dencins

I have the Comcast bundle in MA.  It came with a Touchstone Telephony Modem that handlles both digital and analog dialing.  My kitchen phone is a 354 and it works fine.  Since the Touchstone modem has a backup battery when we have lost power the digital phones do not work but I can still use the 354 until power was restored.

Dennis

Dennis Markham

I don't have Comcast for my phone service but have a couple of friends that do.  Each has a rotary phone connected to their lines and each report that it works just fine.  In-coming ring and dialing.

tjmack99

Same here, no issues with my 554 wall phone.

Phonesrfun

I would hope they would use a smart enough ATA to do rotary pulsing.

I am personally on Vonage, hooked to my cable which is Charter.  Rotary dialing works fine with my service. 

It is the ATA, otherwise called a router that will determine whether or not rotary phones will work.  The ATA is the device they supply that connects between your cable modem and your phones.  It's kind of like a central office in a very small box.  It supplies the talk battery to the phones, as well as the initial dial tone and the ringing current. 

Vonage has used two different ATA's during the 6 or so years I have been using Vonage.  The first was made by Motorola, and the one I am currently using is a private label ATA made just for Vonage, so I don't know who makes it.
-Bill G

Doug Rose

I have had Comcast Digital over three years. As time went by, more older dials started to mis-dial, ringing was never an issue, Comcast rang more connected rotary phones than a Verizon POTS ever did. I have hung a Panasonic 616 off the Comcast, best thing I ever did. Cost less than $50 and it works like a champ.....Doug
Kidphone

Rigger1

Thanks everyone for your input. Comcast will be here tomorrow. I guess i will wait and see what happens. Doug, what is the 616 exactly and would it be possible to post a link to one ?  Bill

Doug Rose

Hey Bill...this is a soft copy of the manual for a Panasonic 616. I use it with default programming. It allows you to hook up up to 4 phones on its 16 extensions total of 64 phones, even I don't use that many. It accomodates 6 lines, I just use my Comcast Digital line. You can call  ext to ext. It is great for a test bench as well. I have two extensions on my work bench. I call the extensions to verify ring and talk path. I have extensions in my phone room to show working phones to visitors. It is worth its weight in gold.

IMPORTANT....Make sure if you buy one that is all modular (16 female modular connections). All phones plug directly into the KSU with a modular clip. Three is also a Panasonic616 that punches down to a 66 block to hard wire, which you  DO NOT want.....Doug
Kidphone

Rigger1

Thanks Doug, I just downloaded it. I will look at it first chance i get this week.  Bill

Rigger1

Hey thanks again everyone. Comcast did their install today and my rotary phones seem to be working perfectly. I guess you should not believe everything you read on their website. The FAQs said that rotary phone will not work with their service. Maybe they are just trying  to cover their selves in the event some phones do not. I will keep the 616 in mind and just wait and see for right now..