"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Telephone Pioneers Museum Auctioning off some 300+ Pieces of Telephone History

Started by TelePlay, July 31, 2018, 01:38:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

GLOBAL MODERATOR POST

The following was sent to me by GLadstone for posting if appropriate. It is so posted here with credit to her for finding this auction information.

=========================================================

I came across something that may be of interest to the CRPF community.

Article at Gizmodo:    Verizon Is Auctioning Off Some Remarkable Pieces of Telephone History

Text of that article . . .     "If you like old school gear that seems like it would kill you if you look at it wrong, well, we have an auction for you.

The Telephone Pioneers of America was a group founded by various employees and bigwigs at telecom companies back in 1911. Alexander Graham Bell, the man Americans are often taught invented the telephone, was an early member. At first, it was a way to create a community around the various people who pioneered the tech of telephony, then it shifted to a philanthropic mission. These days, it functions as a network of volunteers that help out in their community. Along the way, the non-profit set up a bunch of little museums around the U.S. dedicated to preserving old equipment and ephemera related to the history of the telephone.

Now, two of those branches are closing and you can buy their goods in an auction online or IRL on August 4th. Bruneau & Co, an auction house based in Cranston, Rhode Island, will handle the bidding. While it's called "Verizon's Telephone Pioneers Museum Collection Auction," it's unclear what Verizon has to do with it. When we contacted the auction house, they weren't totally sure, and sure the museums themselves have no online presence. We reached out to Verizon to ask and a spokesperson told us they would look into it.

Regardless, this is an opportunity for the collectors and hoarders out there to pick up some pieces of history. Or, if you're like me, it's an opportunity to ogle some cool stuff."

Auction Link (Bruneau and Co.):    The live auction starts on Aug 4, 2018 at 11am EDT. Auction end time could not be found. Historically, these types of sales auction off items one at a time and each auction goes quickly, a matter of minutes for bidding on one item before ending that auction and moving on to the next item.

HarrySmith

Thanks for posting John. Looks like they have some pretty cool stuff!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Butch Harlow

Butch Harlow

K1WI

WOW   recognize most of the items in this auction ....spent many many years at 234 Washington St in Providence. !
   Funny story about item# 62 , It was removed from the elevator by ME  . One night the elevator broke down in the basement , with me stuck in it ...and the phone did not work !!! It was tied to a ring down circuit with no one at the other end . Couldn't call for help so eventually pried the doors open . The next day I installed a new rotary dial phone . 

Andy F     K1WI
Andy F    K1WI

GLadstone

Hi TelePlay,

Thanks for posting this!

I'm glad to know this community is so open to sharing and discussing auctions (before, during, and after)!

-----------

Hi Everyone,

A quick update:

For those of you planning to watch or participate in the auction, I noticed that the auction is also posted to ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/clt/collectibles-live-events/telephone-pioneers-museum-collection-auction-629153

-----------

Hi K1WI,

Quote from: K1WI on August 01, 2018, 06:10:37 PM
WOW   recognize most of the items in this auction ....spent many many years at 234 Washington St in Providence. !
   Funny story about item# 62 , It was removed from the elevator by ME  . One night the elevator broke down in the basement , with me stuck in it ...and the phone did not work !!! It was tied to a ring down circuit with no one at the other end . Couldn't call for help so eventually pried the doors open . The next day I installed a new rotary dial phone . 

Andy F     K1WI

Thank you for sharing the story behind item  #62-- That's really cool!  8)

(I was wondering if someone would be familiar with these items.)

---

Good luck everyone!

Take care,
GLadstone

Jim Stettler

Quote from: GLadstone on August 02, 2018, 09:16:13 PM
Hi TelePlay,

Thanks for posting this!

I'm glad to know this community is so open to sharing and discussing auctions (before, during, and after)!

-----------

Hi Everyone,

A quick update:

For those of you planning to watch or participate in the auction, I noticed that the auction is also posted to ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/clt/collectibles-live-events/telephone-pioneers-museum-collection-auction-629153

-----------

Hi K1WI,

Thank you for sharing the story behind item  #62-- That's really cool!  8)

(I was wondering if someone would be familiar with these items.)

---

Good luck everyone!

Take care,
GLadstone
NOTE: 25% buyers premium.
You will probably need a "rep" to pick up and ship the item as well.
You will most likely also pay a premium for packing/shipping.
RESEARCH the total cost before you start bidding on this style of auction.
Just Saying,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Sargeguy

Most of the great deals were in part 1 of the auction, which was only for people in person.  It was clear the auctioneers knew little about phones and there were some things that should have been in the main auction, like the lucite hard wired Princess, or the 294A fiddleback I bought for $30, or the ivory D-1/E-1 that I picked up. Still there were a couple of things in the main auction that I would have bought if I had any money left after I bought the cherry vanity. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

TelePlay

That Butterstamp receiver went for $650, a very good price considering the auction contest receiver went for $7,300. Hope that buyer was not aware of this auction.

https://bidlive.bruneauandco.com/lots/view/1-168YOV/c1890-butterstamp-telephone-receiver-transmitter

I don't know enough about this and did not take the time to compare the eBay to the auction receivers.

Seems the good stuff went for dimes on the dollar, good prices for anyone wanting any of it.

Sargeguy

That one was not a Bell butterstamp and it had a few issues.  The auctioneers mostly went by what was written on the card by the Pioneers, who apparently weren't as knowledgeable about telephone history as you'd think.  There was a marked butterstamp on the Charles Williams Bell Tap phone (Auction Lot #69) that sold for $23,500/$28,000. They let me play with it before the auction.  A fantastic piece, I am surprised it did not go for more.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

oldguy

Gary