News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Trouble Shooting 1/54 WE 500 C/D;Red Trimline

Started by gands-antiques, February 09, 2020, 11:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gands-antiques

I have a 1954 WE 500C/D that has got me stumped....

The phone rings but it doesn't transmit and gets a very very weak dial tone that can hardly be heard. I've tested the rec and trans capsules individually and they both work fine. I've checked continuity of the G3 handset wires (all good) and I even put on a working handset and it still didn't work.

All of the wires are connected to the 425B network according to the TCI 500 C/D schematic.

I also have another 54' 500C/D that works properly and I compared the wiring of it to the one I'm having trouble with and I still can't get it to work

Thanks,
Gary

rdelius

Try another dial or disconnect one of the dial wires that connects to the same terminal as the white rec wire (the one by itself on the network)

Key2871

Sounds like dirty contacts on the shunt for the receiver.
You could try another dial, or you can get an emory board and carefully clean the contacts. Check the adjustment as well. Remember they just close as the dial rotates. When the dial is at rest they open.
KEN

HarrySmith

I agree with a dial issue. DO NOT use an emory board. Much too abrasive. A business card or similar card stock is all that is needed.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Scott

Here is some more info from posts in the past. Hope it helps.

Scott K.

This too.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=21844.msg222542#msg222542

I did have a problem like that with a princess phone. It turned out the contacts on the back of the dial were not separating when the dial was in the resting position. I had found a thread in the archives that mentioned that could be the problem. I can not find it now. To test that idea I hooked the phone up with the dial attached but not in place so I could see the back. Then I placed something non conductive between two of the contacts on the dial and it worked. The fix was to slightly bend one of the contacts so they would not touch with the dial in the resting position. I hoped my explanation makes sense. I will look again for the thread.

Scott K.

HowardPgh

Dirty pulse contacts on the dial. Put a jumper between F & RR (Blue and Green wires from dial). Check handset cord also.
Howard

Key2871

Good point Harry I was thinking just to burnish the contacts a little. Most people don't even know what a burnish tool is.
KEN

HarrySmith

Agreed. Burnishing tools are not common these days. Most also don't realize the plated part of the contact is very very thin. Emory board or sandpaper will remove it completely. I have a pack of bond paper from Bell Systems for cleaning contacts. Comes cut into strips to just pass through. I have used it many times, works great!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

Yea, I had forgotten about using a business card or something just to burnish the contacts.. I used to work on old EM pinball machines and used a business card to clean relay contacts, worked ok and in this case would work well enough to get those clean.
KEN

HowardPgh

You could also have dirty hookswitch contacts. Sometimes they get a film on them from sitting unused for a very long time.
I dont think much can go wrong with a 425 network unless it was hit by lightening or some other weird power surge.
Howard