News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Tri-wing and other Security Bits

Started by DavePEI, March 21, 2015, 06:05:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Have any of you searched in vain for just the right security bit to fit that darn oddball security screw/ Recently I was frustrated trying to find something to fit our Hamilton Beach coffee maker which was thoughtfully sealed by them using tri-wing screws. Alas, the cover has to come off to access the check valve which was stuck in the appliance.

These unusual screws have a y-shaped insert in the head, similar to a phiilips head. Nothing i had would even come close to it...

Searching eBay, I found a great 33 pc. set of security bits, including tri-wing that I hope will forever and searches for security bits. I found several sellers selling this kit, but this was the lowest, and was in North America. I can't vouch for the sturdiness of these, as my kit hsn't arrived yet, but it should be the perfect thing...

Price was USD $7.45, and includes:

• Torx: 6, 8, 10
  • Hex SAE: 5/64", 3/32", 7/64", 1/8", 9/64", 5/32"
  • Hex METRIC: 2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5, 6mm
  • Tri-wing: 1, 2, 3, 4
  • Spanner 4, 6, 8, 10mm
  • Star: SD 8, 15, 20, 25, 27, 30, 40
  • hex magnetic bit holder/adapter
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/161605971580

Thought I would mention these, in case anyone else hates not having the correct bit to fit that darn security head  :)
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

I've had a set like that for a few years, very handy set to have around, lost a couple of the two-prong things (the four in the top left corner) due to being a bit exuberant with the torque, but those aren't too hard to make with generic flat blade bits and a hacksaw... :)

compubit

I've also found a good place for "unusual" tools is an automotive repair store (Pep Boys, AutoZone, etc.). I was looking for a pentagonal screw head to remove a wall-mounted TV at our office - finally found one (plus lots of other unusual bits) there.

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Owain

Unfortunately those bit sets are useless when the manufacturers recess the screws too deeply to get the driver shaft and bit holder in far enough, and the only answer then is a security screwdriver, which usually are silly prices.

DavePEI

Quote from: Owain on March 21, 2015, 04:52:42 PM
Unfortunately those bit sets are useless when the manufacturers recess the screws too deeply to get the driver shaft and bit holder in far enough, and the only answer then is a security screwdriver, which usually are silly prices.
True... because of this, I also bought a tri-wing screwdriver at the same time, but thought this would be handy to have for when I didn't have the correct screwdiver....

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/221639511444

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Bill

Dave -

I got this same set from Harbor Freight. Usually $7.99, but occasionally (like now) on sale for $5.99. They also have a couple larger sets. If there is a HF near you, you can save the shipping cost. Otherwise it is kind of macht nichts. But as you point out, when you need one of these bits, you usually need it NOW, so it is nice to have on the back of the bench.

Bill

DavePEI

Quote from: Bill on March 21, 2015, 08:58:35 PM
Dave -

I got this same set from Harbor Freight. Usually $7.99, but occasionally (like now) on sale for $5.99. They also have a couple larger sets. If there is a HF near you, you can save the shipping cost. Otherwise it is kind of macht nichts. But as you point out, when you need one of these bits, you usually need it NOW, so it is nice to have on the back of the bench.

Bill
Sadly, no Harbor Freight in the Maritimes... Lots of Harbors, though  :)

Linda bought a new Keurig today, but I am still going to fix the FlexBrew, and I like the way it will brew either a single cup or a whole pot depending on each side you use. Soon as the drivers come, I will take it apart and clean the check valve.

Just a hint for those who may need it some day. If your coffee maker stops pumping water through the filter, and the warming tray remains heated it usually means the check valve in the water line from the heater on up is clogged. On this and some other makers while it is clogged, you will get lots of steam, but no water. Most common cause is a stuck check valve in the line. Clean the valve and reinstall it as it was originally, and things should be back to normal.

If your heating plate stops warming, it is either the element or the over temperature protection device. Unless you can get exactly the same over temperature device, discard the unit - don't short it out. I have seen this done before, and to do that creates a severe fire hazard.

Thankfully, that seldom happens, so the majority of problems occur due to plugs in the line.
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

Quote from: Owain on March 21, 2015, 04:52:42 PM

A lot of the security screws I've seen are on cheap quality goods (therefore in the "ah who cares if I bore out the screw access hole!!" category), so I'm usually not that bothered about trashing them... ;D

19and41

Harbor Freight also sells those kits.  I think every line tech where I work carries a set for all the security bits our transit system uses.  They are cheap enough that it doesn't break you if you lose a bit or the whole kit.   
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

DavePEI

I received my kit last week, and finally got around to repairing the coffee maker today. They would just reach the most inset screw. If that one had been inset another 8th of an inch, it would have been too short, and I would have had to ream out the inset to remove the screw. I did need to use the extension provided in the kit, along with a screwdriver bit type holder I already had. It is going to be very useful, as it has most of the bit types I have wished I had in the past... Quality is reasonable.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

HarrySmith

Came across this set when looking at the Monarch fingerwheel tool on Phone Tech Supply Co.

http://www.phonetechsupply.com/p75/Eclipse-800-048E-1/4%22-Hex-Drive-Tamper-Proof-Security-Bit-Set/product_info.html

I picked up this same set at work a few days ago. The parts dept at the dealership has 2 tables filled with cheap tools, nothing over $9.99. I have picked up a few things from these tables. After my employee discount it cost me $3.65!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Wallphone

Recently I was looking for these just to have it around when I need it.
This is the cheapest kit I found on eBay.
< http://www.ebay.com/itm/191348606804 >
The seller has a good rating so I ordered it but have not received it yet.
Hopefully now I won't have to alter the screw or have to pop out the center prong.

Doug

HarrySmith

Looks like the same set. Good price!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

When the wife and I were on vacation in the US last month we stayed in Savannah Georgia. Harbour Freight was just down the road from where we stayed, I went in and picked up this set for $9.99 US. That think was a good deal.

19and41

I own 2 Fords and most of the interior screw fasteners are torx.  I keep about 4 of the HF sets around.  One is the set with missing and broken bits.   :)
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke