News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Photo. 1933. HK Telephone Co, Exhibition.

Started by FABphones, January 02, 2023, 06:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

Hong Kong Telephone Company Exhibition. 1933.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

RDPipes

Looks like they may have some colored GPO's or the like on display.

FABphones

As far as my research tells me, British telephones were issued to Hong Kong which was then on a Strowger exchange.

Subscribers were issued with black telephones, coloured telephones being provided by special order.

These do come up for sale occasionally and are easily recognisable as H.K. Tel. Co. is embossed in white on the lower front of the telephone body.

Some nice phones on that exhibition display, and the large model phone on the top of the stand would look good in any collection.  :)

Example screenshots below (from the Internet).
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

RDPipes

Quote from: FABphones on January 03, 2023, 03:45:57 AMAs far as my research tells me, British telephones were issued to Hong Kong which was then on a Strowger exchange.

Subscribers were issued with black telephones, coloured telephones being provided by special order.

These do come up for sale occasionally and are easily recognisable as H.K. Tel. Co. is embossed in white on the lower front of the telephone body.

Some nice phones on that exhibition display, and the large model phone on the top of the stand would look good in any collection.  :)

Example screenshots below (from the Internet).

Thank you CJ for that info and I was thinking the same of the hanging display sign.

david@london

Yes, definitely ...  and the giant GPO phone reminded me of this outsize D1 featured in a contest back in 2017:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=19117.0