News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

OK! I need help here.

Started by Dan/Panther, December 26, 2009, 09:22:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

I have a AE40 Monophone with what I'm sure is the wrong ringer.
I've attached a photo of another ringer, and wonder if it is the correct ringer.
If neither, could someone post a photo of the correct ringer.
Photo one is the ringer that came with the phone, photo two is one I have.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bwanna

wish i could be of as much help to you, as you were to me, dan... good luck 8)
donna

Jim Stettler

photo 1 is the wrong ringer, photo 2 looks right to me.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

LarryInMichigan

D/P,

The first ringer is definitely not an AE40 ringer.  I do not know what it is, but my North 541 came with the same ringer jerry-rigged in it.  The second ringer looks like an AE80 type.  You can see how the real ringer should look in Jorge's pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/Amelyenator/AE40#.  As far as I am aware, AE40s camera with all sorts of frequency ringers since many were placed into party line situations.  I got lucky with the AE40 which I bought a few weeks ago on ebay (for a whole $12.50) which has a 20Hz ringer.

Larry

Jim Stettler

I have only had a few AE 40's,  The second picture looks like the ones that were in most of them, I have had one w/ Jorge's ringer. I think his is the older style.
Ringer styles may of varied depending on if they were SL or Frequency

The ringer on my AE 80 looks a little different and newer.
Catalog 4055-D shows the ringer order # for a SL ringer as D-56441-A
This is on an exploded view of an AE40 .
Under Ringer movements  they state that the following ringer movements can be used  on all AE Ringers. It list 11 different movements.

A reprint of  Catalog 4055-D can be ordered from TCI for $15.00 including shipping.
http://www.telephonecollectors.org/store/store.htm

Jim S.
You live, You learn,

bingster

The first one looks like a fire alarm bell.  I'd hate to be in the room when THAT phone rang, that's for sure.
= DARRIN =

stub

D/P ,  Here's my AE 40 ringer .  You will also need the other black grommet in the base plate of the phone to help support the ringer. You can find them at auto parts store. If not able to find I have a bunch  and you can have one for a  stamped envlope. E-mail and let me know. Here's what it should look like.
         The 1st ringer I have seen on AE -43 Spacesavers on the front .  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

JorgeAmely

D/P:

On vacation now, but the first ringer is not the right one and the second belongs to an AE80.
Jorge

dsk

The first (and wrong) ringer looks like a ringer from e.g. Field telephone EE8.

dsk

ntophones

Stub1953's ringer is the correct one for an AE40 (that I know of). You can get one from Oldphoneworks, if you don't have someone that can get you one. Also, be sure it is a Straight Line Ringer (it says "S.L." on the paper around the cylinder of the ringer assembly.) You must also use the correct condenser for it to ring. Jorge's pictures show the condenser number very clearly.
Good luck!

Man, were you lucky to get an AE40 so cheaply on Ebay, Larry! Congrats! I've never bought an AE40 for very cheap that was not a parts phone.
-nto
--nto

LarryInMichigan

AE40s seem to go for alot usually.  There was an AE40 shell on ebay recently which went for at least $30 (I think).  It was missing all of the internal parts and had no dial.  This is the one which I won recently: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150395515443.  Like many of the phones I have bought, this one had also been painted black.  It was a project removing the old paint, but the bakelite was is mostly excellent condition underneath.  There is one 3/4" long stress crack in the right front corner.  I also had to add a dial center ring, and the transmitter was a bit noisy.  It works beautifully now, and is currently serving as my regular desk phone.

Larry

ntophones

Hey, I looked at that one, but the crack scared me away (I'm pretty new at this.) Did you repair the crack?
Why would anyone paint a black bakelite phone, if the bakelite was in good condition, I wonder? How did you remove the paint without hurting the finish?
Good bidding on that phone, btw. Also, congrats on fixing it up and using it!
--nto

stub

D/P, The condenser in your phone appears to be correct , get the right ringer and you'll be good to go!    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

LarryInMichigan

nto,

Thank you.  I didn't see the crack in any of the pictures in the ebay listing.  At any rate, it is not much more than a hairline stress crack and is not usually noticeable.  Attempting to repair it would probably make it even more noticeable.  Most of what appear to be cracks and scratches in the ebay pictures were actually scratches and unevenness in the paint.  Why anyone would paint a good black surface black is well beyond me, but this is at least the fourth black phone I bought which had black paint on it.  My AE50 was the same way.  My North 541 had black paint on the bakelite handset and the soft plastic shell.  These phones look great after the the paint was removed.  For bakelite and metal, I have been using 3M "Safest Stripper" (mostly because I already have a large bottle of it).  It does a very good job without much smell, and it seems to be safe for these materials as long as it is not left for too long.  For the soft plastic North shell, I rubbed off all of the paint with Brasso.  The stripper would probably damage the plastic, and the paint on that shell was thin.  Other members here have suggested using oven cleaner on plastic.  I haven't yet tried that, and I won't likely try it until the weather becomes warm enough to open windows.

Larry

Jim Stettler

I have been told that brake fluid is a great paint remover on bakelite, soft plastic and hard plastic.
I have tried brake fluid on the early  back painted TT mask and it worked well. I put the part in a glass dish and soaked it, then I used a small parts brush to scrub off the paint. Wear safety glasses. For a housing I would probably keep spooning the brake fluid over the housing and try rubbing off the paint w/ a soaked rag.

I would probably hang out while the part is soaking. When you are done you rinse the brake fluid off with water.

As with any new process try it in an inconspicuous place, or better use a damaged part for your experiments.

Jim S.
You live, You learn,