News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ben's Completed Main Custom Display. (WesternElectricBen's Collection)

Started by WesternElectricBen, February 07, 2014, 05:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Hi Ben:

It looks great. I am sure you are happy to have them all displayed. There is only one problem. Now, as your collection grows more, you and your Dad will have to add a wing to your house for the rest of the collection! Looks good!

It is funny - many people collect only phones they have known in their life-time. I would up collecting not only the phones I saw in the city (302,500, 2554, etc.), but the magneto sets I saw in the Summers here on PEI in what was a rural magneto exchange up until the mod 70s. SO that broadened the scope of my collection. But they are all beautiful, and I still feel the awe I did when I was young to see these amazing instruments!

Keep on enjoying!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Dave203 on February 11, 2014, 02:07:26 AM
That's cool. I am also a fan of the 500 sets. As I grew up in the 80's they were pretty common and every where I went people had them. Now I really don't see them any where but around my own house. Even at second hand shops like Good Will and Salvation Army they don't have them. I guess people just aren't donating them around here anymore. But there's always eBay I guess.
-Dave

I agree, people still have them stored in "granny's attic" or just eBay them, to make a quick buck..

As our garbage man explained, "a buck is a buck."

Ben

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: persido on February 11, 2014, 05:17:10 AM
Ben

Wow what a great display, you are so lucky to be able to display your collection. I have my phones all over the place, Im running out of room.
You have a great collection, Do you have any 5302's if so how many?

Scot

Scot, thanks, I really appreciate it!

I actually do have a 5302, on the shelf 4 up, near the small window.

Ben

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: DavePEI on February 11, 2014, 08:42:48 AM
Hi Ben:

It looks great. I am sure you are happy to have them all displayed. There is only one problem. Now, as your collection grows more, you and your Dad will have to add a wing to your house for the rest of the collection! Looks good!

It is funny - many people collect only phones they have known in their life-time. I would up collecting not only the phones I saw in the city (302,500, 2554, etc.), but the magneto sets I saw in the Summers here on PEI in what was a rural magneto exchange up until the mod 70s. SO that broadened the scope of my collection. But they are all beautiful, and I still feel the awe I did when I was young to see these amazing instruments!

Keep on enjoying!

Dave

Thanks, so much, Dave! I really do like it, and like I said, I have a couple ideas for expansion, in the near future.

I actually want to get into more candle sticks, and 202's. Though, as I'm sure you know, they are quite expensive, and many fakes, so I need to be careful. Speaking of wood wall telephones, I have my great grandmas, sitting under the bed, until I mount it.

Nope, besides the display, no wiring! My dad is okay with the phones, but he doesn't want lots of phone wire. Oh well, when I get my first house, (in quite a while) I'l make sure to have phones in every room.

Ben

DavePEI

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on February 11, 2014, 04:56:20 PM
Nope, besides the display, no wiring! My dad is okay with the phones, but he doesn't want lots of phone wire. Oh well, when I get my first house, (in quite a while) I'l make sure to have phones in every room.
Next time you are in a big box hardware store, talk your Dad into coming with you and have a look at the hollow moldings used for routing wiring without destroying walls. The cables pass through the molding, and you could hook up at least a dozen phones without damaging the wall. Just look at it wistfully and sigh while you say, I wish I had some of this so I could hook some of them up without hurting the wall!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: DavePEI on February 11, 2014, 06:57:49 PM
Quote from: WesternElectricBen on February 11, 2014, 04:56:20 PM
Next time you are in a big box hardware store, talk your Dad into coming with you and have a look at the hollow moldings used for routing wiring without destroying walls. The cables pass through the molding, and you could hook up at least a dozen phones without damaging the wall. Just look at it wistfully and sigh while you say, I wish I had some of this so I could hook some of them up without hurting the wall!

Dave

Oh, yes, I will be wiring the display with this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Legrand-Wiremold-5-ft-Non-Metallic-Raceway-Wire-Channel-NMW1/100657474

I hope to work on that over the next break, or summer.

Ben

WesternElectricBen

Little update: I kicked off the wall phones, as they are awaiting for their own display, and I juggled around a few. I moved the 302's to the center shelf, so I could have the Teletrainer setup where people (younger) can use it.

I wanted to have a Red 500, where the Yellow one is, but I ended up settling with this, as the red one I had in mind was a 502.

Ben

Weco355aman

You have a VERY nice display. You have a very nice start to a large collection by the time you reach 40. Keep going you have lots more things you can add to your collection.
Phil

WesternElectricBen

I really appreciate your words, Phil. Obviously, humble to yours.

I don't ever see myself stopping, and I really want to get some more KSU stuff going. Wire in the Panisonic 616, and put the 1a2 in daily use, once it's finished.

Ben

Mr. Bones

Ben,

Looking outstanding, as per usual, Sirl!

By the way, I nearly widdled myself when you mentioned "Looks like you could use some shelves." in my telephone collection pages. Talk about the understatement of the year!

Fortunately, it is warmer here now, and the garage / woodshop is again open for business, so shelves will happen. Thinkin' adjustable, with low voltage LEDs, for grins. (Stoopid Electricians lol!) ::)

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

zaphod01

Great display! I think you have shamed me into more shelves.
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

persido

Looks wicked nice Ben, how long did it take to have such a fantastic collection ?

Scot

Dennis Markham

Very nice job, Ben.  Your collection has really grown fast and looks great!  Congratulations. 

WesternElectricBen

To all: Thank you very much, I appreciate it.

Mr. Bones, good luck with building some shelves, we will all be interested in em'. Especially with wired in lighting.

zaphod01, hehe, I'm getting worried that I'm going to have to expand pretty soon, possibly by running a long shelf over the main window.

Persido, I think I started in May of 2010, and bought a few, (maybe 20,) but after that they just came at such irresistible prices. Now, I've been trying to lay off, until Lancaster, although I accept donations. :)

Thanks again, Dennis, it's like the snowball affect!

Ben