News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Metal Flake 302?

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, January 07, 2014, 05:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Recently, one of my mom's friends gave me a very dirty 1946 Western Electric 302 for my birthday. He said that he found it in a basement with a phone just like it, but had already given the other one away :'(.  I started cleaning it today, and noticed that there were reflective flecks in the plastic.  I checked inside the housing to make sure it was through and through, and it was--it seems to be an intentional metal flake plastic. From most angles, it appears that they're gold flakes, but from certain angles, they almost appear reddish.

This reminded me of Doug Rose's Mottled Brown 302, so I visited that thread, and realized that the date on Doug's phone was 5-46, and my phone is dated 6-46 :o. Has anyone seen anything like this?  Could Western Electric have been experimenting with plastic housings for phones after the war?
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Gilas

I have found several of them so far.  Those are also the same ones that tend to be the purple color (Indigo) when the cover is taken off and it is held up to a strong light or sunlight.  The 3 that I have found all had an S on the date stamp.  Here is the link for mine http://tinyurl.com/mq9jw53  You can see that mine was also stamped 46

WEBellSystemChristian

I never thought of this one being an indigo 302. I checked in the light, and I do see through the plastic. However, I don't see an S on any of the dates. In fact, the date on the housing is like none I've ever seen. Instead of, for example; "8-19-49-3", it says; "JUN 25 1946". The network says "IND 101A II 46", a bit like your indigo. Are these sets very rare, or are they just something that collectors pass by and never notice?
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford