News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Photos of early 500 set components dated 1949

Started by paul-f, May 11, 2010, 02:11:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul-f

While we're waiting for someone to come forward with photos of an entire 1949 set, photos of 1949-dated components can be found here for reference:

http://www.paul-f.com/we500_1949.html

These were all found transplanted into later sets.  The housing was on a 500 set dated 10/50 with the following sold sticker from 1984!   :o :o

Please send additions!
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

rp2813

This makes me wonder now if maybe Ma Bell was intentionally selling off old stock since as rented equipment they had long since made their money back on it.  I just recently saw a clean 1957 500 base with suede feet (and obviously a later modularized shell and handset) that had a similar sticker with a 1980's date on it.
Ralph

paul-f

The owner reports that, according to family tradition, this one most likely spent its lifetime in the possession of a Northwestern Bell employee, who received it as a presentation gift.  In 1984 he "did the right thing" and got his sticker to prove it was his legitimate property.

The presentation plaque was most likely applied well after any trials, so may or may not be significant.  The rest of the set was dated well after the 2/10 date mentioned, so it clearly doesn't apply to anything but the housing.  Hopefully the date code is reliable.

Dan/Panther

Paul;
On the shell dated 3-31-49-2, are those plungers clear ?
boy a date that early in 1949, sure makes you wonder why it took so long and only got 4000 ?
8 months and 4000 sets completed, makes me think the shells were stored away for a few months before being used, that would go along with delays in the Indianapolis plant opening. Were  the components pretty much all made at the same facility ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan/Panther

Paul;
One more thing, are all of those parts other than trhe dial owned by the same person ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

rp2813

I think Kenny is right.  Those plungers appear to be at least opaque, particularly in the shot of the case's interior.
Ralph

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

paul-f

I agree with you all.  The photos suggest the plungers are clear, but they do appear opaque or black in others.  I've asked the owner for clarification and more photos.  He reported that the phone (mostly a 1950 production set) was in continuous use from the early 1950s until well after 2000.

Remember that the plungers may or may not be original to the housing.  They may have been changed when the housing was put on the later set, or any other time during it's lifetime.

The  three parts shown on the site are from three different collectors.