News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

C/D 500 set questions

Started by Fabius, June 30, 2014, 09:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

I just got this pink C/D 500 set which I got on eBay. eBay pictures are poor Washed out and the cord looks dirty. It turns out is one of the nicest pink sets I've ever seen since the cords have excellent color. Here's my questions. The bottom of the base is stamped 500C/D II-62. There is also an ink stamp in orange R373C. I think that's a repair or refurb stamp? Everything inside is dated 1962. The dial is marked TC-59 and under that is II-62. Refurb on the dial? The case is dated C 73 and has a large marking D34. Both cast into the case. So they only replaced the case in 1973 or later? Makes me wonder why they didn't do a modular update on it?

http://tinyurl.com/pcstz2w

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

WesternElectricBen

Your dial hasn't been replaced, (if the color code matches) as it is the correct year, but your housing definitely has been. R373C should mean: R = Refurbished, 3 = 3rd month, 73 = 1973.

I'm 90% sure modular was introduced in 1974 and I have a few phones (refurbished after) that were not updated to modular.

Ben

paul-f

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on June 30, 2014, 10:07:02 PM
Your dial hasn't been replaced, (if the color code matches) as it is the correct year, but your housing definitely has been. R373C should mean: R = Refurbished, 3 = 3rd month, 73 = 1973.

I'm 90% sure modular was introduced in 1974 and I have a few phones (refurbished after) that were not updated to modular.

Ben

The dial is probably marked 7C-59 -- 7C is the dial model and 59 is the color code for pink.

Modular introduction dates were not consistent across the country.  They started in part of Illinois Bell around June 62, and other dates over the following few years elsewhere.

I have also seen refurb dates after modular on sets that were still hardwired.

Tom,  Also check dates on the cords and handset elements.  They were often changed during refurb.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

poplar1

The dial and base are probably 11-62 (November) rather than II-62 (2nd quarter). And the "C" in R373C indicates that it was remanufactured at the Illinois Service Center.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.