News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Getting into 1A2 systems via 620A panel

Started by 280Parka, July 28, 2018, 04:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

280Parka

I have decided to use a 620A2 panel as my introduction into 1A2 systems.  I have been reading the appropriate BSP's and feel like I am getting a feel for the basics of the system.  I plan on taking it one step at a time.  Step one is cleaning up the 620A panel itself.  It came equipped with eight Western Electric KTUs: two 400Ds, two 400Gs and four 400Hs.  The problem so far are the two 400Ds.  They were in positions 1A and 4B on the panel and both had a component (WE 327A 73K capacitor?) that is located right above the two lower relays that was leaking a gooey messy fluid.  I think the panel had been stored on it's back for a while, because the goo flowed down behind the relays, into the 913B connectors, the flexible circuit board, and into the plastic case.  Does anyone know what can be used to dissolve and clean this up?  Is it even possible?  All of the internal connections of the 620A are made by soldering the flexible circuit panel directly to the panel leads and therefore makes it very difficult to remove the circuit board without desoldering all of the connections.  I assume the goo isn't conductive?  Can I just ignore it?  Right now I will only need two KTU's and possibly two more in the future.  So could I use any of the clean slots (1b, 2A, 2B, 3A, 3B and 4A) and ignore 1A and 4B?

Key2871

I'd try goo gone. A citrus based cleaner dissolves that sort of thing. You may want to use gloves, because that goo may be toxic.
KEN

280Parka

Quote from: Key2871 on July 28, 2018, 06:22:30 PM
I'd try goo gone. A citrus based cleaner dissolves that sort of thing. You may want to use gloves, because that goo may be toxic.

Thanks, do you know if "goo gone" will hurt the metal contacts of the connectors or other metal or electrical parts?

Key2871

No it shouldn't, it will leave surfaces a little oily if anything. So a spray with cleaner should be done after, soap and water would do it.
Same with electrical contacts.
And personally I like the G and H cards better than the D.
KEN