and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Phone number on Kellogg Redbar... "York" 717.843-0923

Started by RotoTech99, April 09, 2015, 08:32:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

[font=comic sans ms From: RotoTech99

]I have found the following number on a Kellogg Redbar... "York" 717.843.0923

The number originates from the Southeast corner of Pennsylvania; I am unfamiliar with that area.

if anyone has information that could identify the exchange, and where it originates from, I would appreciate help finding out with my Thanks of course to those who reply.[/font]

poplar1

http://publicrecords.onlinesearches.com/phone-finder.php?ac=717&ex=843

Also, if you enter "717-843" in the box in the second link, this shows that it is served by Verizon, but FKA (formerly known as) GTE, which still doesn't explain why there would be a Kellogg phone.
http://www.npanxxsource.com/nalennd.php
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

RotoTech99

My understanding is York Tel. & Telegraph was an Independent during the 1940's and 1950's... Maybe that explains it, and it went to being a GTE exchange later.

unbeldi

The exchange name database reveals (without warranty of any kind) that York Telephone and Telegraph used the manual office names "Village" (prefix 8 ) and "County" (prefix 2) in the 1930s. County was for the rural customers.
Village turned into VIllage 5 (845) under 2L-5N, which opened the path to additions of 843, 846, and 848. The rural exchange became the manual prefix CO, still operating in 1954 per a telephone book.

Today, the office in YORKPAXMDS0 is still running an Automatic Electric switch, GTD-5 EAX, serving 12 prefixes. GTD-5 systems were first installed in 1982.

Here is the 1931-built exchange office.

York Telephone and Telegraph was acquired by GTE in 1959 (Thoughts on York County's former telephone service, by Joan). It changed its name to GenTel, GTE, and finally Verizon.  In 1957, most of York County still used four-digit numbers, except the village of York had five and six digits.  7-digit numbers were available in 1964 under GTE when DDD service was installed.

Can you show a scan of the number card so we can see what it actually looked like?

RotoTech99

Here is a photo of the number card... It reads "York" 717 843-0293. It is handwritten.

There is discoloration mark on the bottom part of the "8".. I adjusted the photo as best I could, sorry if it's a little tricky to read.

unbeldi

Quote from: RotoTech99 on April 09, 2015, 10:51:22 AM
Here is a photo of the number card... It reads "York" 717 843-0293. It is handwritten.

There is discoloration mark on the bottom part of the "8".. I adjusted the photo as best I could, sorry if it's a little tricky to read.

Too bad, the style of a printed card could have revealed the issuer and time frame, perhaps.

RotoTech99

I'll try turning the card over after I get home... It might be a Telco design card with the number as you believe.

I'll check it out

RotoTech99

I checked the number card, there wasn't a printed telephone company card with the number on it, just the white card with the number hand printed.

I have found out the number used to belong to R.L. Beach in 1954 in York, PA

poplar1

In the 1948 and  1954 directories, the telephone numbers were in the following format:

York 5589
            York 7831

unbeldi

Quote from: unbeldi on April 09, 2015, 10:20:20 AM
The exchange name database reveals (without warranty of any kind) that York Telephone and Telegraph used the manual office names "Village" (prefix 8 ) and "County" (prefix 2) in the 1930s. County was for the rural customers.
Village turned into VIllage 5 (845) under 2L-5N, which opened the path to additions of 843, 846, and 848. The rural exchange became the manual prefix CO, still operating in 1954 per a telephone book.

Today, the office in YORKPAXMDS0 is still running an Automatic Electric switch, GTD-5 EAX, serving 12 prefixes. GTD-5 systems were first installed in 1982.

Here is the 1931-built exchange office.
York Telephone and Telegraph was acquired by GTE in 1959 (Thoughts on York County's former telephone service, by Joan). It changed its name to GenTel, GTE, and finally Verizon.  In 1957, most of York County still used four-digit numbers, except the village of York had five and six digits.  7-digit numbers were available in 1964 under GTE when DDD service was installed.

It appears that this author (Joan) on YorkBlog had it right, at least what the 1940/50s is concerned, as evidenced by the directories for sale.
A simple 4-digit numbering plan is hardly ever a successor to a letter/number type plan, especially not a 2L-5N, the VIllage exchange must be a later happening, perhaps very short-lived, or the TENP database is simply wrong.  Or could it be that these prefixes were only used when calling from outside of York in the Bell System?

poplar1

Expanding the number of possible phone numbers for York, PA: