News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I'm halfway there with this one!

Started by Jester, November 28, 2009, 07:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jester

I agree, Jonathan.  I've seen alot of abused 500's, & I don't recall ever seeing a break exactly like this.  And yes, there is much more strength in this part of the cover than anywhere else I can think of.  The break is across four seperate walls: the inside cradle perch down to the lift cover; both sides of the upper plunger port, and a mostly diagonal break that runs toward the rear of the outside perch wall.  I think it can be repaired in a way that it will just about disappear, but it will have to be carefully cleaned, first.  Then a plan of attack seems in order, too.  Worst case scenario, the break is hidden by the handset when phone is on hook.
Stephen

baldopeacock

Quote from: bingster on December 01, 2009, 10:16:05 PM
Brasso in the metal can was made in Canada, and made a great polish for not just metals, but also for plastic and painted surfaces. Scrubbed in with steel wool, it was even brilliant at restoring worn finishes on wood furniture.  There was little it wouldn't do.

New Brasso in the plastic can is made in the US now (to conform with California's environmental laws) and is only a mediocre metal polish, a bad plastic polish, and will instantly destroy painted surfaces. 

Somebody mentioned that original Brasso was available on eBay.   Just looked at that.  There are a couple of sellers importing what might be the old formula from Thailand, in metal cans - wonder if it's the right stuff?   Price wasn't bad, like $5 a can plus shipping.

baldopeacock

re: discussion on automotive polishing compounds like Dupont #7 that aren't around anymore...

If you've got an auto body shop paint/supply store nearby, it might be worth your while to stop by and see what they've got.   They will have a broader selection of compounds in different degrees of "cutting power", stuff that isn't offered in the big-box stores, in part because it's strong enough to do some damage to auto finishes in the wrong hands.  

Since most modern car paint is two-stage base/clear, the retailers probably don't want to put stuff on their shelves that could end up cutting all the way through someone's clearcoat.   Too many angry customers.  The pros still use it, so it's relegated to the pro supply houses.

Some of those might do the trick for getting through some discoloration and surface scratches on plastic phone parts, without resorting to sanding.   The people at the counter in those stores should be able to steer you in the right direction.   You guys using the Ryobi polishers could be pretty happy with the results.