News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1952 WE Not Working at all. Help

Started by tommycam, April 18, 2016, 06:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AL_as_needed

There are whole sections on how to shine up plastics and Bakelite, all depends on how far you want to go and how much work you want to put into a piece.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?board=70.0

For me, I'm not a perfectionist and like the phones to keep some of their individual character, shows they were used. Once all parts are cleaned with a grease cutting soap to remove the crud, I use automotive cleaner-wax or NuFinish (depending on state of the plastics) to give them a sheen. Bakelite can be more involved. Some need a good buffing compound and a touch of shoe polish, others I have gotten looking pretty good with plain paper towels and elbow grease.
TWinbrook7

tommycam

Al,

Thank you for the suggestions and I never thought of shoe polish.

Tom

andre_janew

Of course, we will be wanting pictures of the finished phone.

tommycam

Andre,

I am going to look into polishing it but I may just wax it via the thread.

I have to ask, I rewired the handset and the ear piece works.  I uncrossed the wires  and the transmitter is working. The only thing I hear my voice in the handset's ear piece. I'm not sure why. Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you again,
Tom

AL_as_needed

How loud is your voice? This is actually supposed to happen to a certain degree by design (we adjust our speech volume based on how we hear our own voice, WE figured this into the design so people wouldn't scream into the phone). Do you get dial tone of you plug it in? I'd make a test call to a friend if possible as a final call quality check.
TWinbrook7

tommycam

With the help of this forum, here is a link to the phone ringing:
https://youtu.be/vr1f26zOud8

I admit I was hesitant to buy the new cords. I figured it was beyond repair because nothing was coming out of it at all.  I am glad I did it.

Thank you all for the help!!!!

Tom

AL_as_needed

Sounds good, another 500 set still plugging away in the new millennium.
TWinbrook7

Babybearjs

Tom, thought I'd add my comment.... I always change out receiver cords and line cords when they are in the condition posted.... its not worth the time to try to save something that's broken.... I always keep parts available for this reason....
John

tommycam

Al, I think you, me and the rest on this board are the few that still use Land lines.

Babybearjs, Thank you for the suggestion. I didn't have those cords because I never thought about doing that kind of restore. Now that I know I can do it, I may keep an eye out for spare parts and pieces.