and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic Electric Parade

Started by JorgeAmely, January 19, 2011, 10:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stopthemachine

Quote from: JorgeAmely on January 23, 2011, 10:28:30 PM
Terry:

The blue phone exchanged hands for $611.22 Hold on to your blue!
WOW!  I saw your post and instantly signed on to eBay.  I've been watching this one to see how high it would go.  As much as I like 1950+ phones, that is WAY too rich for my blood!  I'd say the seller made out VERY well--do these "harder to find" AE colors always go for THIS much?  I'd expect a color AE 40 to, but not an AE 80.  Thoughts anyone?

AE_Collector

I'm thinking that a red 40 shows up more frequently on ebaY than a dawn gray or a colonial blue 80. Ivory 40's are relatively common on ebaY. Any other color of 40 (excluding BLACK!) are few and far between though.

Since dawn gray and colonial blue 80's land on ebaY so infrequently I really don't know what a normal price would be....probably isn't a "normal price".

Both the gray and the blue 80's appeared to be in very nice condition which likely had a positive affect on the price.

Terry

JorgeAmely

Agree with you Terry. The dark blue and gray sets are kind of rare. In my opinion, I would say a Dark Blue AE80 is more rare than a WE Mediterranean Blue. The Dawn Gray AE80 is probably as rare as a WE in Oxford Gray. 

The AE80 in Blue just auctioned is a rare bird: because of the box, connecting block, etc, I would say it never was installed or had very little use. Same thing with the Dark Gray. I am surprised the Pink and two tone ivory didn't go for more. The two tone ivory seems made by an AE installer, because it has the original set's black lift. Ken showed us an AE document that details the practice.

These sets may have gone for a very high price because there is little to do to them to make them shine nicely. Also, the Dark Blue set has a rural numbers bezel. I have seen them only in black or once in yellow in a foreign market (The Philippines).
Jorge

Doug Rose

Quote from: JorgeAmely on January 23, 2011, 10:28:30 PM
Terry:

The blue phone exchanged hands for $611.22 Hold on to your blue!
Jorge...I saw that and was really amazed at the selling price. It is one beautiful phone...Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

Quote from: stub1953 on January 20, 2011, 12:54:57 AM
JorgeAmely,
                 I guess we can't snipe these now ;D ;D ;D  Did you notice the color of the plunger stop on the two-tone? All 3 are very nice PHONES. I'd like to have them all !!!!!!!   Probably too rich for my blood!    
                                                                                                                          stub

Ken: Looks as though one of them came within your reach!

Terry

stub

Terry,
        I flew in under the radar!!!!   I sent instructions on how to pack also. !!!   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield