News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Mediterranean Blue Model 500

Started by Dennis Markham, September 06, 2009, 10:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

I don't think I'm blowing anyone's cover here so I'm going to point out this phone.  It was just listed tonight and it has already climbed quite high in price.  It is not going to fly under the radar.

http://tinyurl.com/ndcqch ( dead link 08-04-21 )

Take a close look.  Anyone see anything unusual about this phone? 

It's a great looking set with the neutral gray straight handset cord and matching mounting cord.  I wouldn't mind owning it myself.  But the way things are going it may sell higher than the pink 5302!

Dan

The dial has been replaced? Doesn't have the 7C does it Dennis?
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

The dial looks appropriate.  It has the wide opening for the 7 series dial.  Good guess though!

Jester

A four conductor line cord!  I didn't know they ever made those in gray!  The 13' on my med. blue has the standard 3 conductors--the later versions of these had four conductors.  Was this for a 500U?
Stephen

Dan

It would be nice to see a picture of the back to see if it was a 500U and the shell was replaced
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

bingster

I'd never have noticed the cord.  The only thing that sticks out to me is the modular dial card, but I don't think that's what you're getting at.
= DARRIN =

McHeath

JorgeAmely

The only I see unusual is a crimp about 3-4 inches before the spade terminals. The photo is not too clear, but these type of crimps are for attaching cords to sets.  ???
Jorge

Jester

Thanks for pointing out the crimp, Jorge-- I missed that earlier.  I thought I saw the "hook" used to attach it to the base, though.  As you say, it's not very clear in the photo.  And it seems a long way from where it should be, even if it is right(not to mention mounted to the base & hidden from view).
Stephen

Dennis Markham

The "unusual" thing I was speaking of was what Bingster noticed.  The dial card has an "M" on it which was used on phones that had been modularized or were born modular.  I thought if this seller were going to present the phone as an original he/she would have used a different card or none at all.  The seller seems to know a little about phones of this vintage.

I did not notice the 4 conductor line cord or the fact that the spade tips are so far from the crimp.

I was just pointing out the M dial card and thought it may stimulate some conversation about the phone.  I'm sure it's a great original Dark Blue phone.

By the way, that 313 Area Code is from the Detroit area.  It used to be pretty much all of southeastern Michigan but has been whittled down to basically the City of Detroit.