News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Question about buffing.

Started by Dan/Panther, June 13, 2009, 10:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

If you are using a buffing wheel, what do you apply to the wheel, or do you apply it to the phone ?
What do you use for mechanical buffing compound ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

mienaichizu

I'd like to try a turtle wax or any other buffing compound for cars

Phonesrfun

For a buffing wheel, I assume you are talking about a 1200 rpm motorized one, and not a Dremel.

First, you need the softest grade buffing wheel you can get at Home Depot or Lowes, and they also sell a compound that is made just for plastics and paint.  The compound is hard and comes in a stick form.  You rub it on the wheel periodically as you do the polishing.

-Bill
-Bill G

Dennis Markham

Dan, I have one of those bench wheels...you know, grinder on one side, buffing pad on the other.  I rarely use it for phones.  When I do it's only after I've hand polished and used the Ryobi.  I may go over and dust off the polish with it.  But it spins very fast (I don't know how many RPM's).  One slip and the piece can be ruined.  Often after I use this wheel I will apply Novus2 again and just use the Ryobi and buff with a soft cloth.  On Bakelite, like the handsets you don't have to worry about burning it.  I don't have any compound or abrasive that I use with the wheel.

Dan/Panther

O.K. guys, I was going to keep this a secret to myself, to try to catch up with Jorge on his polishing skills, but I just can't keep a secret.
I think I have found the ULTIMATE polishing tool. It cost me $20.00 on ebay. It's brand new. I've been testing it the past couple days, on hard and soft plastic cases, as well as bakelite. It's low RPM, hand held, and the replacement pads are two for $3.00, still being made now, as it's a new product not something vintage.
May I present the breakthrough in polishing for phones, and radios, and even the car if you will.

D/P
BTW, it polishes shoes pretty well also.

Phonesrfun

Since its for shoes, it is probably quite safe for phones. 

The polishing wheels connected direct to a motor shaft like on a bench grinder go too fast to be safe on plastic without a lot of care.  They need to be stepped down to about 1400 rpm.  I mis-spoke when I said 1200 in an earlier post.

I believe most AC 1/4 to 1/2 HP motors are 1775 rpm.  I got a belt drive arbor at a hardware store, and made my own.  There was a discussion on either the ATCA or TCI listserves a while back on the topic.

I, for one, would be very interested in hearing about how the shoe polisher works.  Maybe you will set a new standard with it.

-Bill
-Bill G

Dan/Panther

Like I stated I've been testing it for the past two days, and it doesn't spin very fast, much less than 1775 rpm I'm sure.
It works absolutely great, I tried applying extra pressure and got no burns at all. I applied the Brasso directly to the pad, and spread it around, then polished. I'm very happy with how it works.
D/P