News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NOS Car Phone

Started by Doug Rose, April 25, 2018, 07:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I had a guy offer me this NOS Car Phone for $500, said they were 2K on the Bay. Not what I collect, anyone interested. I can connect you....Doug
Kidphone

Partyline4

twocvbloke

HarrySmith

They might ask 2K on the bay but I don't think they sell for anywhere near that amount. I bought one I was going to put in my Corvair for $10.00.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

thanks guys....He asked me if I wanted a rotary cell phone. He acted very naive until I offered him $50 and came back the with $500 and then he was a pro. I actually thought $50 was too high, but it was NOS.....can't win them all....Doug
Kidphone

Key2871

I agree that $500 is a bit out of line for a shelf display. But he's hoping that he finds that one person who has to have it, at all most any cost. I wish him luck.
KEN

19and41

Did that come with the trunk unit?  If it did it would at least have value as a boat anchor.  The unit is pre-cell.  I've never heard of anyone wanting one.  It would be an expensive useless accessory for a classic csr.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

HarrySmith

I was going to mount one under the dashboard of my 1963 Corvair Telephone Truck and put bluetooth in it.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Fabius

As been said this is pre cell. It is IMTS Improved Mobile Telephone Service. It was still in use in the mid 1990s.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

K1WI

Doug ,
    That would look awesome hanging from your dashboard.    I drive an old Bronco as my daily driver ,and permanently wired a Verizon home  phone connect in it so I can use any land line phone on the cellular network....currently using an old gray Princess on the dash....you should see peoples faces when it rings !     Did the same at my place in Calabria  (Italia) using an Ericophone on the Vodaphone network in my Cinquecento ....makes for lots of funny looks.
Andy F    K1WI

K1WI

PS    Started my career with Ma Bell back in the sixties as a radio tech on IMTS mobile.   "Those were the days !" ... the "PHONE"took up almost the entire trunk and would kill your battery in minutes if left on (that's why most of the control heads had a key lock) and talk about pricey...back then it was about $3 a minute to chat....in sixties dollars !!   

PPS I have seen the control heads for sale at "hamfests" and your lucky to get $50 bucks for one...And that one is lacking the keylock and lamp caps . Also that type would very rarely used on the east coast probably from west  of the Mississippi.
Andy F    K1WI

Doug Rose

Andy....I drive an 2003 Accord, the phone is bigger....Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

Is the dial legit on this? It is an AE dials with the odd fingerstop location so maybe... but most of these would not have had dials as the calls were processed by operators.

Terry

Sigmaz

That Phillips screw through the center of the dial makes it look suspect to me.
But what do I know?
Since I don't really have much of a reputation to uphold here yet I'll call BS on this one for you guys.

It's not like Motorola to leave major components of a device hanging in the breeze.
The units I've seen with dials have them well integrated, not dangling from a project box.
But I could be wrong...but here is a white paper on what appears to be this unit... no mention of an AE dial... :P

19and41

There were a lot of control heads used with different transcievers that used dials.  some were used in telephone calling and others used the dials for radio call direction.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke