News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How many of you actually use your antique phones?

Started by BDM, September 21, 2008, 04:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So, how many are actually using their phones?

I have no modern phones
several at any given moment
Maybe one hooked up, when I'm in the mood
Hardly ever. Besides, they scare the kids
Heck no! Are you kidding? Display only!!

Mark Stevens

Quote from: hilotech on October 05, 2008, 08:40:25 PM
Yes, we have a black 302 that we picked up at a yard sale several years ago for $3.  Brought it home, screwed the line cord wires into the jack and the thing had a dial tone.  We took it partly apart to clean it and replaced the worn cords with cloth reproductions and shined it up a bit with back to black and changed some of wiring around (It was a Brooley Air Force Base phone from Mobile, Alabama).  Anyway, it's a great old phone that still works but probably should be refurbished better that I can do.

Ron and Michele

I say that if it works properly, then you've done all the work needed. Sounds like a great find! Unfortunately, the yard sales in our area aren't populated with 302's...   :'(

TIPandRING

Currently this is the only working land-line phone in my upstairs:

It's a Automatic Electric 90 wall phone in bright white (goes with the bright white wainscotting below the yellow painted walls).

I edited out the # for privacy.

mienaichizu

Quote from: phoneguy06 on October 05, 2008, 07:35:17 PM
I have two of my vintage phones connected right now, a Country Blue AT&T 500 and a Camelia Pink Automatic Electric 80. These phones are always connected,  as both of them have the Rotatone installed, so I can use them even if I encounter one of those annoying automated systems that says, "To reach Timbucktu, please press 2," and so on! The blue phone was reconditioned by AT&T in 1991, and the inner components (network, ringer, and base) are all 1964 W.E.; I won the phone on ebay. The pink AE I bought here at an antique market for $29; it was manufactured by AE Canada. I love the big older triangular feet and chrome number card holder and plungers.

nice looking pink AE80, all my AE80's are black

Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

bingster

= DARRIN =

Bill Cahill

Actually, I'm re discovering a new love for my old phones. I'm sick, and, tired of dead batteries, lost signals, digital cut outs, etc.....
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

McHeath

QuoteActually, I'm re discovering a new love for my old phones. I'm sick, and, tired of dead batteries, lost signals, digital cut outs, etc.....
Bill Cahill

Totally agree.  How many times have you been talking to someone and their phone dies, or yours dies, for who knows what reason.  Did the battery die, did the signal from the tower drop, did the microwave or garage door opener interfere, did a truck drive by and block the signal, is there a storm outside, maybe a Klingon battle cruiser decloaked in the front yard.

mienaichizu

Quote from: TIPandRING on October 06, 2008, 08:45:59 PM
Currently this is the only working land-line phone in my upstairs:

It's a Automatic Electric 90 wall phone in bright white (goes with the bright white wainscotting below the yellow painted walls).

I edited out the # for privacy.

How much did you get this AE90? someone is selling, a black one but its a bit pricey, I want to know how much that this phone costs

Paul Dietenberger

Quote from: McHeath on October 05, 2008, 10:28:57 PM
Phoneguy06 those are sure good looking phones.  I had no idea that AT and T was still refurbing phones as late as 1991.  Does anyone know when this practice ended?

Probably in '96 when they sold off the leasing business, now that company (QLT) presumably refurbishes the phones they own and lease out. You can still rent a phone, you know. Renting a 500 or 554 costs $4.45 per month, slightly more for a pushbutton phone. Why you would do this, I have no clue; but the option is there if you want it.  :)

TIPandRING

Quote from: mienaichizu on October 07, 2008, 11:49:06 PM

How much did you get this AE90? someone is selling, a black one but its a bit pricey, I want to know how much that this phone costs

I got this for the extremely pricey sum of $13.00 ::)   No joke. Was in un-installed condition, a bit dirty, I polished it up. That was my bid at the estate sale of a retired phone man.

Careful with eBay, sometimes the black models can go for a lot. I would not pay more than $20 for a -black- AE 90.

BDM

Here's another that is currently hooked up, a W.E. 151AL stick. It also has the 313 area code TUxedo exchange number card, which is straight out of the area of Detroit I grew up in. This is another one of my garage sale finds from the 80s. Though I can't remember the story on this one. It uses the 635 "Bulldog" transmitter with the 706A receiver. It also has a #4 dial, instead of the usual #5 dial found with these 151AL sets. Please excuse my work bench mess :P

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

McHeath

Gee, I might have to start looking into these old Candlesticks.  What is a reasonable price to pay for a phone like this?

benhutcherson

I paid $140 for my 40AL(non-dial) from a reputable local seller.

My 151AL came some assembly required without a dial or receiver for $40 from the same seller. A reproduction H.O.T. receiver cost me another $20, and about the same for a #5 dial.

Candlesticks are pretty popular as decorator items, and tend to sell for pretty high prices in general because of that. In fact, the seller from whom I bought both, who has a shop selling furniture(in addition to Lionel trains, the major draw for me), and manages to sell candlesticks for that price pretty well. I think the longest I've ever seen one sit is about two months. He typically gets 8-10 a year. These are walk-in, off the street sales-although he does sell on Ebay, he says that they sell too well without the trouble. He also says that greater than 90% of his sales are to people who just want them to sit on a table, and don't care about whether or not they work.

In any case, from what I've seen, $100 seems to be about the typical going rate for a 20AL or 40AL non-dial on Ebay in decent shape. I've seen unrestored 51AL and 151AL sticks sell for up to $200, however you do really have to look out for repros.

The ones with a "bulldog" transmitter seem to sell for a little bit less, which is to your advantage if you want to actually use it(the sound quality is much better). Also, if you're looking for one to use, I would definitely suggest choosing a 151AL over a 51AL, since you get anti-sidetone.

There's one seller on Ebay who seems to consistently sell restored dial sticks with a subset for anywhere from $400-600.

BDM

Really? Not sure any longer. I haven't been watching Ebag prices on these. $200, maybe $300 in nice condition with subset? These usually don't bring as much as a sticks with a solid back transmitter and proper 143/144 receiver. But, they're far more usable in my book since the F1 handset receiver & transmitter are used. Plus the anti-sidetone network is employed, usually with the 101A coil in the subset. Last stick I bought was a 51AL in excellent to near perfect shape back in 98, and I paid all of $150 with equal condition subset. BTW, that's the original line and receiver cords.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI