Sargeguy, do you still need a handle?
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

GMF

Hi, I have a 202 which was wired to a 685A subset but when I disassembled it to paint and then reassembled it everything worked except the sound, dial tone, etc was barely audible. The 685A has a 425B network and it doesn't match the photos and diagrams here. Also. it wasn't wired with the terminal strip so I need to know how to wire it without using the letter codes on the network itself. Is it possible to wire this using the standard 4 wire line cord? I sure would appreciate any help so I can get this sold before xmas. Oh, and my handset is a 3 conductor F1

HarrySmith

Welcome to our little obsession ;D
The 425 network should not be in that subset. Try using a 500 wiring diagram.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

bingster

GMF, welcome to the forum, and head over here for the diagram you need:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=784.0

Scroll down to the fifth diagram, labeled "685 Subset", and that will show the connections you need.  As you'll see, the terminal strip isn't used at all.  Just hook up your 4-conductor cord as shown, make sure the ringer connections match the diagram, and you'll be good to go.

Harry, the 685 was the last standard WE subset, the one with the 500's components.  So you've got a 425 net, C4 ringer, etc. in it.
= DARRIN =

GMF

Can anyone help me? I'd like to fix this in time to sell on ebay for xmas shoppers. I have a 202 with a 685A subset but it has the 425B network which is quite different from the 425E network illustrated in this forum. I had it wired and working but after I disassembled it for a repaint I thought I had it wired back correctly but I could get any volume on the headset, though it rang and the switchhook worked correctly.

Thanks 

Dennis Markham

GMF, read the reply by Bingster just prior to yours.  He tells you where to find the diagram for the 425B network.

~Dennis

Phonesrfun

In this thread :

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=784.msg42306#msg42306

in the last picture of the very first post is the exact diagram you need.

If you cannot make that work, you will need to post photos of it.

At the risk of duplication and using bandwidth, here is a copy of the diagram:
-Bill G

bingster

A
Quote from: GMF on December 17, 2010, 02:11:33 PMIt actually had 7 wires connected, but I understand that only 6 need be involved. Is there any way to use the standard 4 wire 202 config?

I just noticed this in another post of yours.  If your phone was previously connected with a 6 or 7 conductor cord, it means the phones internal wiring was modified.  In addition to making sure your subset wiring conforms to the diagram in the post we've pointed you to, you're also going to have to move some wires around inside the phone to make sure it conforms to the standard wiring shown in the 202 diagram in the same thread.
= DARRIN =

Phoniac

Quote from: Konrad on January 27, 2009, 12:29:43 PM
Sargeguy I am sorry for your loss and have felt similar pain.  While it will never be the same again you could repair it.  Drill out a wire channel, JB weld together and paint.  Maybe a couple of pins, like a broken leg.  While it will never be the same again, only you will know.  To everyone else it will look fantastic.

I agree, As clumsy as I am I've had to do this very same thing with other items and I'd definitely do it with your E-1 and, if you get another to replace it, you'll always have a spare of sorts.
I remember when all I wanted was a AE 50 w/Chrome to go with my AE40. When I finally got one I had it in my hands and dropped it on the kitchen floor, needless to say, it was NOT a pretty sight and the neighbors knew it without asking.