and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

eBay - Princess Phone in Dark Gold

Started by SunriseEarth, August 03, 2020, 02:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SunriseEarth

Hello,

I came across a 702B in Dark Gold on eBay: 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Rare-Western-Electric-Bell-System-Gold-Princess-Rotary-Phone-w-Box/264817397375

?hash=item3da858ce7f:g:POUAAOSwJ3dfJ0Mf

I found a similar one to this as part of a lot last year, and I knew mine was a special find.  This 702B is newer than mine (11/68 vs mine from 12/62).   It has gold handset and line cords, whereas mine has brown cords.  This is also in better condition and comes with a box.   Anyway, I thought this was an interesting find, and I'm sure whoever gets it will enjoy it. 
Tony Stokes

TCI Member; ATCA Member #4893

Scott

I looked at this as well and am very suspicious. My gold set has the brown cords like yours and any other I've seen has had brown cords. The gold is in too good of condition when compared to the base bottom in my opinion. And when looking at the underneath photo the bottom edge looks possibly white with what appear to be drip marks of gold on especially the left side. Just my thoughts as I looked at it. I am always on the look out for any different Princess phones. Hopefully I'm wrong and someone will score a nice set.

Scott K.

Key2871

Well I see the base pan and even the fingerstop are also painted gold, so that makes me suspect it's not a true gold Western set.
KEN

HarrySmith

Quote from: Key2871 on August 03, 2020, 03:17:01 PM
Well I see the base pan and even the fingerstop are also painted gold, so that makes me suspect it's not a true gold Western set.

Agreed. Definitely painted.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

Quote from: Scott on August 03, 2020, 03:06:04 PM
....when looking at the underneath photo the bottom edge looks possibly white with what appear to be drip marks of gold on especially the left side....

Agreed. Looks like some white showing through paint on handset too (additional screenshots and closeups below):
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

SunriseEarth

Seeing what everyone has observed so far, I definitely would not trade my Dark Gold Princess for this one!   I didn't look closely enough to pick up the fine details.   I'm not necessarily against painted phones like this, but it's definitely more satisfying to get the real thing. 

Tony Stokes

Scott

Wow, give me my can of spray paint! What am I missing? :-\
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Rare-Western-Electric-Bell-System-Gold-Princess-Rotary-Phone-w-Box/264817397375
( dead link 06-10-21 )

Scott K.

FABphones

Auction ended, final bid $209.50.

Key2871

Wow, is someone going to be disappointed when they open that up?

Tony, when looking at any set, it's important to find the little details if you can.

I think some one paid far too much, but another lesson learned.
I used to collect Princess sets, all colors I could find.  And I wanted a gold set so I took a white faded shell and went to the hardware store and got a can of gold spray paint. It came out nice, but I knew it wasn't original, so when I sold it, I told the buyer it was not factory, just so they knew.
It looked real nice but I couldn't in all good contious sell a set that I painted and not disclose the fact I painted it. There have been finger stops I've seen on princess sets that were a gold tone, but they don't match the paint job on a phone exactly.
KEN

phonium

Here is another gold princess, 1702b. Award to "Mr. Touch-Tone".

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174379925540 ( dead link 06-10-21 )
George Amores
ATCA#4857

FABphones

Seller item description from above link:

'This is a special Bell employee recognition gold award telephone given to "Mr. Touch Tone", a Bell employee in back in 1965. An internet search revealed Mr. Hiatt's nickname was Mr. Touch-tone. While Mr. Hiatt did not invent the touch tone phone, his marketing team brought the touch tone phone to the market in the 1960s.  The telephone model is 1702B.

A excerpt from his bio:

"His 35+ year sales and marketing career in the telecommunications industry began with Indiana Bell where he was notably recognized as Mr.Touch-tone for his work in launching the touch-tone phone to the country".

This is a rare opportunity to obtain a special phone from Bell history.

The phone has some nicks and scratches, please review all photos. It is untested as I do not have access to a land line. To repeat, it is sold sold as-is, with no returns...'

——-

Screenshots from listing:

SunriseEarth

Quote from: phonium on August 10, 2020, 02:49:57 PM
Here is another gold princess, 1702b. Award to "Mr. Touch-Tone".

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174379925540

I'm keeping my eyes on this one.
Tony Stokes

SunriseEarth

This one is mine.   Definitely doesn't match the fingerstop.
Tony Stokes

Key2871

That's  a nice one.. I like the plaque that says it all.
KEN