News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Let's not rewrite history.

Started by Stan S, July 24, 2016, 10:57:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MADhouseTelephone

Forklifts and mechanical handling didn't really get started until the 30s. Before that everything was hand stacked onto carts to move from place to place. The best you could hope for was an endless chain system you could connect your  cart to and send it on its way.
ADavid, MADhouse Telephone

Greg G.

Quote from: KaiserFrazer67 on April 18, 2017, 03:02:00 PM
One thing that strikes me as odd in the photo above is the way that the various machine operators just have the parts piled on the floor, either stacked neatly as is the case with the men further down the line, or just tossed in a pile as is the case with the guy in front.  ...

I love old pictures like this.  Hard to say if the guy closest to the camera is doing the same job as the rest of them, or what that pile really is.  That could very well be a reject pile, who knows.  In the 80s I worked for a small business who manufactured some sort of metal cast part that had a hole that needed to be deburred around the inside edge.  It was done by hand with a deburring knife that had a triangular shaped blade.  My "in" pile looked a lot like that one, only taller.  I didn't stay very long in that job.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e