News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is this a real Coloured 302?

Started by Dan, July 13, 2010, 08:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

I think the painted dial concerns me. I looked on Paul's excellent site and see no mention of this (in 1952, as the auction says).

http://tinyurl.com/2c6btcq

Paul mentions painted handsets with  moss green 302 shells in 1954.  ???

PS--looking at the guts inside, what wires need to be moved to make it ring? ???
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Doug Rose

Dan...its looks real to me. The pictures are bad. I think someone painted the fingerwheel to try to match, but it looks like a green thermoplastic 302....Doug
Kidphone

Phonesrfun

I agree the pictures are very small and not very good.  Looks like the real McCoy on the cover and the handset.  The finger wheel looks like a rattle can job.  I am with Doug on that one.  THe handset cord looks too small.  Kind of like they used a line cord for the handset cord.

-Bill G

Dan

So the dial is basically clear painted green. That would be easy to correct.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dan/Panther

It is definitely a green shell, can't speak for the rest of it. Like Dan says the dial is an easy fix.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

There is a date visible on the front inside edge of the housing.  I would think that was done when it was made.  So like you all said already, the housing looks legit.

Phonesrfun

The seller says that the dial [finger wheel]? is painted metal, and it looks like the dial center has a metal painted ring around it, so I would say that the finger wheel is not plastic, but painted metal.  The seller also says that it does not ring, and that is because it is still set up to have the yellow wire connected to the green in the plug.  Another way to get it to ring with a modular line cord would be to move the red ringer wire from the G terminal to L2 inside the phone.

-Bill G

Jim Stettler

Plastic shell w/ brass screw bosses. Seller states metal dial wheel and painted dial housing.

I think some black dials and FW are legit for this set.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Kenny C

i have my doubts about the handset
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Doug Rose

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on July 14, 2010, 05:41:09 PM
i have my doubts about the handset
Kenny...how can you tell? Pictures are so poor that you cannot see if the handset is seamless or seamed. Something is not quite right with these really bad pictures, seller has over 1300 feedbacks and is a 100% positive seller, but these pictures are awful. Hiding something? My guess is that the phone and handset are thermoplastic and the finger wheel is painted to try and match. With these extremely poor pictures, I would never risk it. This is a disappointment waiting to happen.....Doug
Kidphone

Kenny C

on the first pic doesn't that handset look like it has a shadow right where the seam is? or is it just me?
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Doug Rose

Kenny...I can't tell if it is seamed or seamless. If you see a seam, it cannot be a real thermoplastic handset. Your eyes are much better than mine...Doug
Kidphone

Kenny C

i think it is a seam but not sure. it looks kinda fake to me (the handset not the case) 
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Kenny C

the handset cord is a repro or not even a handset cord
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dennis Markham

I agree that the handset cord is not right.  The colored wires are green and yellow attached to the dial.  A mounting cord??