News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What Diameter is a B1 Base?

Started by George Knighton, March 03, 2013, 10:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Knighton

I was able to purchase recently a little phone desk of the 1900-1910 era that I'd been watching for a while.

But I don't own any phones for which it was designed, and I have a dumb question, the answer for which I've been having difficulty finding on the Web.

The desk has a movable stand for some kind of phone.  It is felt covered and seems to be designed to hold a device with a round base and a diameter in the 5 1/2 to 5 3/4 inch range.

What's it designed for? 

What's the diameter of a 51AL, or a B1 ?

Thanks very much for any help you can provide.
Annoying new poster.

George Knighton

Here is a view showing the adjustable, felt covered base.

Annoying new poster.

LarryInMichigan

The diameters of WE candlestick and B1 bases are about 5 3/8"

Larry

Sargeguy

Those were designed with candlesticks in mind.  Since you usually needed two hands to operate a desk stand (unless you wanted to lean into it or had it on a shelf level with your mouth), this set-up would enable you to keep one hand free while talking so that you could write, etc.  The arm would swing the phone over so you could talk and swing out of the way when done.  With a B-1 and other desk sets, you only need one hand so there is less reason to move the phone's base since you are talking into the handset.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

cihensley@aol.com

George - looks like a nice piece of furniture.

Chuck

George Knighton

Thank you, friends.

And now the search begins for my first candlestick....  :-)
Annoying new poster.

southernphoneman

good luck to george knighton on his candlestick phone search,sooner or later i will begin my search for one, when i have the budget for one.

LarryInMichigan

If you are not particular, non-dial Kellogg candlesticks tend to be the least expensive.  Some have inductor coils in the base.  I have one which I was able to turn into a working F118 (without a ringer) with the addition of a capacitor from Radio Shack (which easily fit into the base).

Larry

George Knighton

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on March 03, 2013, 05:20:42 PM
If you are not particular, non-dial Kellogg candlesticks tend to be the least expensive.  Some have inductor coils in the base.  I have one which I was able to turn into a working F118 (without a ringer) with the addition of a capacitor from Radio Shack (which easily fit into the base).

Larry

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on March 03, 2013, 05:20:42 PM
... non-dial Kellogg candlesticks tend to be the least expensive. 

I have a feeling that "least expensive" is not in the cards for this.  :-(

This is my first foray into candlestick territory, but so far I'd say it's likely I'll be out a pretty penny to get what I want.

I think I want a fully functional and good looking 51AL that works the way it's supposed to work, i.e., with a subset, whether the subset is OEM or a covered 302 I don't care.

But...I'm just learning about them right now and don't know a darned thing.
Annoying new poster.

poplar1

George, a desk stand marked 151AL will work better with a 302 base or other anti-sidetone subset.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Sargeguy

What's you budget?  Manual sticks can be had for about 1/2 what a dial stick sells for.  If you want a Western Electric you will want to look for a 20-AL or 20-PC, they are the entry level models.  I prefer the nickel finished 20-PC, finding a 20-AL that has original paint in good condition can be surprisingly difficult, and painting them is a pain.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

LarryInMichigan

This might be a good time to mention the old warning about fakes.  Many of the "WE" candlesticks for sale are Asian-made replicas.

Larry

southernphoneman

very good point larry,those fakes or repros as they are called,are one of my biggest pet peeves.

George Knighton

Quote from: Sargeguy on March 03, 2013, 08:42:24 PM
What's you budget? 

I'm not sure there is a budget.  It depends on what the item is.  I want something that can actually be used, and I want something that works the way that it was designed, with a subset network and ringer, even if the transmitter has been replaced for better clarity, and even if it's just a 302 subset instead of the original.  I have 302 bases all over, so it'd be perfectly acceptable to get one that is in great shape except for needing a subset, of course.

I bid on this and lost by $10.00, if that helps:  http://tinyurl.com/blr9emv

I was surprised it went for that much, and the seller's presentation of the sale probably had a lot to do with it.  Whoever's selling it did a really good job with the advertising.
Annoying new poster.

poplar1

If paying $200 or more, it should at least have a #2A dial. This one does not.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.