News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I finally had some good luck today.

Started by foots, June 06, 2009, 07:47:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foots

I went to a small antique store today to pick up my Hermes manual adding machine and spotted a black WE 500. I wanted a black 500 so I walked over to have a closer look. It was dirty, dull with a few scratches, had clear plastic closed center wheel and clear plungers, but really nice triangular rubber feet. It also came with a 4 prong adapter. So I bought it and once home I decided to clean it up. Its been refurbed, with 1968 handset caps and elements and a 1971 dial, but the baseplate, network, ringer, and pristine handset cord are all 1960. I noticed something odd, the baseplate had no  red refurb markings at all and the date was in the wrong place - along the edge rather than by the ringer volume control. Aslo, above the date was some strange numbers/letters, all silver. Stamp went like this:
Order No.
19792-PC-60-C4-C4
GA-51859
6-60
Well, I didn't think much of it. I started passing some Brasso on th body and hand set  to try to get a little shine out of it and was pleased at how nice this phone was coming out. Then I noticed on the back where your fingers go when picking up the phone was written:
Signal Corps U.S. ARMY
Telephone Set TA-236/FT
To think, a few days back, I never knew there was such a thing, and now I own a nice one, and I got it dirt cheap. Now I need to get some pictures up.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

HobieSport

Good going Foots on the Signal Corp 500.  They are made to withstand humidity.  I'm not sure what the actual differences are between the Signal Corps 500s and the regular civilian 500s are.  I'll let the more knowledgeable folks on the forum answer that.
-Matt

Dan/Panther

Basically they are Tropicalized, which means they will withstand high humidity better than a regular 500. Richard Marsh, told me he would rather have the SC model than the civilian version.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

McHeath

I've got a 1960 signal corp 500, it's even got a great sticker on the front about how the phone is only for government use. 

But I swear on a stack of holy books that I can't see any differences between it and a regular 500. 

It's a fun phone to have around though, congrads on the find. 

foots

Thanks McHeath. I like Signal Corps phones since they have some history.  I'd like to eventually get the correctly dated parts for this phone, though it works beautifully as is and is already in service in the living room.

AET

Nice find, you don't see those Signal Corps phones every day!
- Tom

mienaichizu

Great find, so that is the right phone for me in this very humid environment

benhutcherson

Quote from: McHeath on June 06, 2009, 09:53:50 PM

But I swear on a stack of holy books that I can't see any differences between it and a regular 500. 

I agree on this. I've had mine apart as far as it will come apart, and it looks identical to a standard 500 set in every way save for the markings on the shell and on the bottom. I had mine for about 3 years before I ever even noticed anything unusual about it.

McHeath

Okay on further examination I note that the handset cord is a bit beefier than a regular cord, at least on my 1960 500.  It's thicker, and thicker wires inside it, and seems to be made of a more rubbery material than anything else I have.  It's dated 60', so I'm guessing it's original to phone as nothing on the phone is dated past 1960.  Don't know if any other signal corps phones are like this. 

foots

McHeath, which handset does your phone have? My phone is a '60 also but the handset is from '68 and is a G3. I also have a grey plastic thing where the wires connect inside the handset (can be seen under the mouth and ear caps) and both my '59 and '58s are clear. Also, is your fingerwheel clear or black metal? Do you have black or clear plungers?