"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

SC1543 in Yellow - Big Disappointment!

Started by LarryInMichigan, December 08, 2011, 09:03:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260906362854

I won these last night.  I have developed an odd fondness for 1543s, but they have not seemed to be very popular.  This one had 12 bids though.  I doubt that people were bidding for the green SC500, but I may be wrong.  This will be my third color 1543.  I have green and ivory, and of course, black.

Larry

GG

The two of them go together well.  Now if you have a blue AE 80, you have "yellow plus blue equals green."  :-)

1543s are often found with frequency ringers, but now we have the "nibble" trick to loosen up the reeds on those and make them respond to 20 Hz., so that shouldn't be a problem. 

I'm looking for an ivory one or a gray one.

LarryInMichigan

I have already adapted a couple of SC1543 ringers.  They are easier to adapt than any other frequency ringer I have seen.

Larry

Nilsog

Ken

LarryInMichigan

These phones just arrived.  The yellow 1543 has had a large rectangular chunk of the corner where the line cord exits cut out and a modular connector stuffed into the hole.  The ebay listing pictures conveniently omit that part of the phone.  The phones were not so cheap, and I think that the damage to the shell substantially reduces the value of the 1543. 

The green phone is an SC 500 dated Sep 1975.  It is in reasonably good condition, but I have no interest in it.  I would be like to sell it for cheap.  Please contact me if you're interested.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

I just sent a message to the seller explaining my disappointment.  I will see what the reply is.

BTW, the yellow is closer to a harvest gold color than the ebay pictures suggest.

Larry

kleenax

Quote from: GG on December 08, 2011, 09:24:10 AM

The two of them go together well.  Now if you have a blue AE 80, you have "yellow plus blue equals green."  :-)

1543s are often found with frequency ringers, but now we have the "nibble" trick to loosen up the reeds on those and make them respond to 20 Hz., so that shouldn't be a problem. 

I'm looking for an ivory one or a gray one.

Why fiddle with those frequency ringers? Paul Vaverchak has plenty of the original 20 Hz SC ringers for sale for the 1543s.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

GG

Ray - How can I reach Paul?  I could use a couple of those.  BTW I'm definitely interested in a couple of your #10 GPO dials if you still have any with the smaller number retainer.  One is for a GPO 150 desk stand, another is for a 164 without the integral bellset.  (I can service those dials in my sleep, as long as all the bits are present and nothing is overtly broken.)

Ohboy Larry, that's a stinkeroo.  I really really hate it when sellers play the game of posting incomplete photos to disguise something that would fail the sale if the item was at a flea market.  That ought to be punishable by Ebay: it's basically misleading advertising.  (And then they play stoopid: Oh I didn't know anyone would care if there was a chunk missing....)  Bah humbug, demand money back or else negative feedback.  It's a market, not a mutual back-patting society. 

Ebay should require photos from all visible sides of an object, to prevent that kind of thing.  If someone can take one picture then can take four or five more.  And none of this "bad lighting and blurry photo" nonsense either: if someone can operate a computer, they can take a tolerable photo.  I'm sure their family photos at the beach don't come out that way.   

Here's another trick to watch out for: cords piled up in front of the phone to disguise the huge crack in the housing.  IMHO that's not a "coincidence."  Why put the cords there as opposed to where they naturally fall on the side and rear of the phone when it's put on a table, eh?  Grr, grr, grr.