News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Four pin jack adapters

Started by Cole, September 01, 2019, 02:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cole

I was surprised that the four pin to modular adapters aren't around in stores. It seemed I remember them at Radio Shack when I was a little younger. I ended up getting one on eBay that also came with an extra four pin plug. But I'm considering buying some round four pin Bell System jacks off of eBay and wiring a modular cord up to them, to make adapters that way. This way I can display phones with the correct style jack.

Key2871

Back when I did phone work, is used to keep a couple in my bag of tricks. Because once and a while I'd run into one of those old style jacks. I'd pick them up at yard sales and the like, but after a while I didn't find the need for them Because those were replaced by madular jacks.
Even the five port modular adapters were once popular, but no are not found in stores. But when I see them online, they are way more expensive than they used to be. I'd pick those up for a buck a shot, now not less ten 8-10 bucks.
KEN

andre_janew

Some of the adapters I've seen on eBay actually look like the surface mount 4-pin jacks with a short modular cord attached.  Those are usually in the $15 to $20 range.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Cole on September 01, 2019, 02:33:48 PM
I was surprised that the four pin to modular adapters aren't around in stores. It seemed I remember them at Radio Shack when I was a little younger. I ended up getting one on eBay that also came with an extra four pin plug. But I'm considering buying some round four pin Bell System jacks off of eBay and wiring a modular cord up to them, to make adapters that way. This way I can display phones with the correct style jack.
Ace hardware used to cycle  thru them (stock then clearance ) 4 prong/mod adaptors .. I would buy them on clearance. A poor man's "Banjo"*
*A Banjo a modular breakout point (usually a blue test piece). It gives you test points for a telephone line. Plug it into a mod outlet, use the butsett on the pins.
JMO, Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Cole

Quote from: Jim Stettler on September 01, 2019, 04:36:42 PM
Ace hardware used to cycle  thru them (stock then clearance ) 4 prong/mod adaptors .. I would buy them on clearance. A poor man's "Banjo"*
*A Banjo a modular breakout point (usually a blue test piece). It gives you test points for a telephone line. Plug it into a mod outlet, use the butsett on the pins.
JMO, Jim

There's a good idea. I hadn't thought of Ace Hardware, they may actually have some adapters left there or at other old fashioned hardware places around here.

I'm not old, but I do seem to recall seeing four pin jacks and adapters being sold at Radio Shack. Like mentioned in the thread when you see the adapters now they want $20 for them. I guess they have gotten rare enough to become a specialty item.