News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

North (Galion) Dials and centers

Started by mentalstampede, June 13, 2014, 04:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mentalstampede

I have just acquired my first North dial, and it occurs to me I have no idea how to remove the dial center!   Is there anything I should know before I start prying on this thing?
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

Doug Rose

Kenn...North Galions came with North dials, Western Electric dials and Automatic Electric dials. A picture would narrow it down...Doug
Kidphone

paul-f

No.  Just pry away.  (Gently, please.)

the metal retainer just snaps in place.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

mentalstampede

Thanks! I thought it would be that simple, but I wanted to make sure.  I've had a North TP-6A for awhile with an AE type dial, but I just scored this Galion with a North dial in it.  I've had it apart to test the components, and aside from some rotten cords it all works. Now i'm just waiting for the reproduction cords and I'll be ready to go!

That, and some further cleaning!

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

mentalstampede

Another question: Are North dials normally stiff to dial with? This dial is MUCH stiffer to dial than a WE or an AE. It returns smoothly, if a little slow, but it takes a fairly substantial push when dialing the numbers.

WesternElectricBen

Come to think of it, my North (or is it AE, not sure) is a bit stiff. But, maybe it just needs adjustment.

Ben

mentalstampede

It seems like the regulator does not disengage from the finger wheel when you dial. If you dial slowly, it operates much easier ice noticed. I'm beginning to think that might just be the nature of the thing.

Dan/Panther

Dial may need a servicing. They should be easy enough for a small child to operate.
The think I don't care for on AE dials, is the click when you release it at the end of dialing a number. seems like they are all spring loaded to return at too high a tension.
D/P

A correction here, it should have said, Thing, not think.

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

mentalstampede

Quote from: Dan/Panther on June 13, 2014, 10:10:57 PM
The think I don't care for on AE dials, is the click when you release it at the end of dialing a number. seems like they are all spring loaded to return at too high a tension.
D/P

That's always been a minor annoyance to me too.  This NORTH dial is pretty neat though. It's completely different from either Western or an Automatic.  It clicks kind of similar to a 4H dial, only is clicks on the initial turn, not when it is released. I kinda wonder why North used so many 3rd party dials when they had developed their own.

poplar1

A central office tech at an independent telco in upstate New York told me they didn't like the North dials. All their North sets had been ordered with WE 5J dials.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.