News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 50 / 35 on eBay (and) Mr. Helpful

Started by Wallphone, December 25, 2010, 02:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wallphone

It looks like the seller bailed out on the AE 50 / 35 auction.
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=130467216293 <
Terry (Mr. Helpful) probably contacted the seller and told them what they really had.
Did anyone here buy it "Under the Table"?
I'm just kidding about Terry being "Mr. Helpful".
I know who the real Mr. Helpful is.
I bought myself a WE AA1 for Christmas.
No, not that kind (A1), the real AA1 that looks like a WE 302.
Anyway, take a look at the auction and read the Q & A at the bottom.
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=110620244846 <

( dead links 12-06-21 )

Cheers,
Doug from Michigan

bingster

"All 250 sets were equipped with a 4-wire cord; it was needed to be electrically identical to earlier 102 and 202 sets."

102 and 202 aren't electrically identical.  I expected more from Mr. Helpful! lol
= DARRIN =

Greg G.

My non-dial 302 looks very similar, I'll have to take a closer look at it.  Now what exactly determines a 302 from a 250A?  The one thing that stands out on mine as not belonging is the coiled handset cord.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Wallphone

The 250 doesn't have a ringer, coil, or condenser. Paul F. has some info on it. It is the 1st phone listed.
> http://www.paul-f.com/we300typ.htm <

Greg G.

Quote from: Wallphone on December 25, 2010, 04:19:38 PM
The 250 doesn't have a ringer, coil, or condenser. Paul F. has some info on it. It is the 1st phone listed.
> http://www.paul-f.com/we300typ.htm <

How did it work then?  Was it more of an intercom device?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

Quote from: Brinybay on December 26, 2010, 01:34:48 AM
How did it work then?  Was it more of an intercom device?

No, they are a more modern version of the 102/B1 and 202/D1 for replacement purposes. All the other parts are in the subset/ringer box. If a B1, D1 or even a stick was to be upgraded to a newer manual set, this set could be connected to the existing subset rather than replacing the phone and subset. Presumably going this route would save time and money.

Doug: Good work at busting "Mister Helpful". I'm sure there are more of them out there and many of us have provided info to sellers before when they are way off base with something they have said in their listing. However this example you found is consistent with the previous discussions on here re "Mr Helpful" All indications are that you've got the right guy (and I might be off the hook! {no pun intended}).

Good detective work Doug P (wallphone).

Terry

Dennis Markham

Doug,

Your AA1 looks very nice.  Really, you can't beat that price.  $20 plus $10 to ship.  The phone looks to be in great shape.  I wasn't aware of a designation of AA1 for a set like that. 

Mr. Helpful is an old time collector as you know.  He used to be very active on eBay.  I guess he may still be I just don't see his name anymore since they scramble the names.  I used to know that if d_a_l_e bid on something, it must be good.  I bought a Mediterranean Blue 500 from him three or four years ago...It was $225 B.I.N.  It was pretty yellowed.  I ended up trading it with a guy for another phone.

Wallphone

Thanks Terry and Dennis.
A few years ago on the TCI Listserv there was the annual discussion about people calling the first Western Electric Desk Set an AA1. They went on to say the AA1 is a bare bones phone that looks like a 302 and is probably even rarer than the WE A1. I thought they were BS'ing about the rare part so the first one I saw on eBay I mentioned it on the Listserv figuring I would get one at a later time since they were rather boring looking.
Well, this is the first one that I have seen since then although I have probably seen twenty A1's since then. This was one of those phones where the hunt was more fun that the kill. I have it sitting on my  WE 555 Switchboard right now. It looks real nice right now and should clean up well when I get aroundtuit. Dave Hunter got the first one and it is now in his P.E.I. Museum. But the hunt continues. Now all I have to do is find the real A1 at a garage sale for $20 and I'll be real happy.