"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1957 Stromberg Carlson Hands Free Phone

Started by ....., July 24, 2017, 08:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul-f

Quote from: Duffy on August 10, 2017, 09:14:43 PM
Paul F. doesn't know it yet, but his picture he posted helped me with an idea.

This is only a test to see if it would work, I think I can get them made out of vinyl.

Why do you think I posted the photo?   ;)
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

TelePlay

Another option is to put down a white plastic background and use clear water slide decals to put the lettering on the harder white plastic background. They make clear laser printer water slide labels and sell on eBay in small quantities.

Quote from: TelePlay on August 10, 2017, 10:24:50 PM
Another option is to put down a white plastic background and use clear water slide decals to put the lettering on the harder white plastic background. They make clear laser printer water slide labels and sell on eBay in small quantities.

That would work. I just learned something new today. That will work really well for the brand name logo. I would have to buff the scratches out of the name plate though, then apply it directly to the plate.

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Duffy on August 10, 2017, 10:39:39 PM
That would work. I just learned something new today. That will work really well for the brand name logo. I would have to buff the scratches out of the name plate though, then apply it directly to the plate.
Is the chrome plate perfectly flat?  If curved most adhesive labels would wrinkle when applied.

TelePlay

Water slide labels have flexibility when wet and can actually tear if not handled gently. Put a lot of them on model airplanes years ago and there were no flat surfaces on those small things. Of course, there is a limit but mic seems flat enough. And of the first water slide doesn't work out, it can be removed and a new one applied.

e.g.:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/LASER-Waterslide-Decal-Paper-5-Sheets-CLEAR-/272782805670

They also make inkjet printer clear.

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: TelePlay on August 10, 2017, 11:14:08 PM
Water slide labels have flexibility when wet and can actually tear if not handled gently. Put a lot of them on model airplanes years ago and there were no flat surfaces on those small things. Of course, there is a limit but mic seems flat enough. And of the first water slide doesn't work out, it can be removed and a new one applied.

e.g.:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/LASER-Waterslide-Decal-Paper-5-Sheets-CLEAR-/272782805670

They also make inkjet printer clear.
Interesting!  Had no idea such things existed.  Laser would seem to be the most color stable.  Ink jet inks seem to fade.  But most people don't have color lasers.

Quote from: Alex G. Bell on August 10, 2017, 11:10:32 PM
Is the chrome plate perfectly flat?  If curved most adhesive labels would wrinkle when applied.

Yes, it's pretty darn close to being flat.

Quote from: TelePlay on August 10, 2017, 11:14:08 PM

I have a colour laser printer so I'm all set. I'll be like a kid in a candy store printing labels for everything!

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Duffy on August 11, 2017, 06:36:27 AM
I have a colour laser printer so I'm all set. I'll be like a kid in a candy store printing labels for everything!
Like the P-touch guy, sticking them on your forehead too?  ;D

Connecters swapped out.

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Duffy on August 12, 2017, 11:02:48 PM
Connecters swapped out.
Looks good!  Fortunately the cable was not too large for the spring.

Does it work?

Quote from: Alex G. Bell on August 12, 2017, 11:10:17 PM
Looks good!  Fortunately the cable was not too large for the spring.

Does it work?

Haven't tested it yet, maybe later today and I'll post the results.

Look what I'm getting, 2 of the original microphones for the SC hands free phone. Dave hunter found them while looking for something else. He is going to send me both of them. Now that will really make the phone complete. Thanks Dave.

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Duffy on August 14, 2017, 12:13:13 PM
Look what I'm getting, 2 of the original microphones for the SC hands free phone. Dave hunter found them while looking for something else. He is going to send me both of them. Now that will really make the phone complete. Thanks Dave.
Now you can make it into a Conference phone!   ;D

WEBellSystemChristian

Absolutely beautiful phone! It actually makes me want to start collecting pre-500 SCs! :o

The difference in color is probably a combination of background color, lighting, and using a smartphone camera. Cameras in smartphones adapt different colors based on the surroundings it sees, and also makes colors lighter in brighter light. The first picture was taken in bright sunlight on a black tonneau cover. The camera differentiated Dark Gray and Black by making the Dark Gray lighter--the bright sunlight didn't help. The 2nd picture was taken in low lighting on a white background. It adapted the two colors by, again, making the subject's color the opposite of it's surroundings--darker.

The real color is probably somewhere between the two extremes, most likely similar to the 2nd set.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford