News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

208 KTU's and 25 Pair Cable

Started by Babybearjs, November 01, 2019, 05:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

well, I'm reintroducing the 208's into my system and am wiring up the harness using some 25 pair cable. I am unable to find any instructional paperwork on how to wire the units using 25 pair cable, so does anyone know how the wiring should go? are there any colors I should be using for power, etc? or am I on my own here and just wire it as I please? any suggestions would be helpful!
John

Key2871

I've not worked on those before. But I'm thinking you would start off with the blue-white then move on to the end of codes. But I'll try to remember to look up your KTUs a bit later, if no one beats me to it.
I had an ITT 501 with 207Bs in it, but not that I can recall 208s. There can't be that many terminals to require 25 pair, is there?
As for color code for the power, what do your others call for?
I would continue with those on the 208 for power too. Less confusion later. Or if you have solid colors such as yellow/black for AC and Red/green for DC.
KEN

Babybearjs

Well, when I pulled out the unit from my shed, I had prewired the power and ICM line in... along with the lamp feed and Time-out Circuit. I used the first 4 colors to do that with.... blue for Battery A Orange for Battery B Green for the lamp feed and brown for the TO circuit. so when I did start to wire it last night, I started with the slate/White for the T/R for station #2 and went from there... got all the way through to Violet/Orange and started using the last 3 remaining pairs for my control leads. ran out of pairs and have to add a single 4 pair cable to finish the job.... all I have to do now is reorder the crimp spade terminals and finish terminating my wires. I have to add some angle irons to the frame to mount it to the backboard. the additional unit weighs about 50 pounds... UHG! what a pain! will keep you all posted as to the progress of this part of the system... I'm trying to document it too!
John

Key2871

Well you can wire it anyway you want, just don't get yourself confused with all the different combinations or color.
For me, I start at the top work my way down.
Using the standard color code every time, so I know what's what, the only difference in this case would be a color coded system for wire bundles.
One color for each situation, but the same code for each.
To me it makes sense because if there was a problem, I can distinguish one section from another..
After doing and re doing my systems over the years, I figured this is the best for me anyway. It's easier to keep track of things when I need to trouble shoot.
KEN

Babybearjs

Ken, that's basically how I did it. on my power supply, I used a 4 pair cable to run from my PS to the KTU cabinet. I assigned the blue pair for Battery A, orange for Battery B the green for the lighting circuit and the brown for the signaling circuit. I just followed that format to prewire the 208's. when I got the 25 pair cable attached, I followed what I had done and then continued.... the out going lines to the individual stations start with the slate pair.... I got the units all wired and was short 3 pairs.... have to add another 4 pair cable to the mix to finish the control circuits on the 207C. so much fun! I had the system in 2 years ago and everything worked then.... I'm hoping for a easy install.... will keep you posted!
John