News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

old Danish phone

Started by long jumper, August 15, 2022, 04:40:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

long jumper

Wanted to know if anyone has any idea how old this phone is? You can see it is from Denmark. ITS about 12 LBS. Has been painted. Also Has old type a digit display on top and a push button next to digit display maybe to re set numbers. any input appreciated. I think  is all Bakelite.

FABphones

Danish, KTAS. Looks like a model D08.
Metal body.
1930s.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

long jumper

Thank you that is helpful. I might purchase this phone. could you please tell me what digits and button on top are for. If parts are needed are they easy to buy and are they expensive?

dsk

The counter on the top was a Copenhagen system of counting number of calls, each time you dialed the first digit in a number it counted. You got regular visits to read off the counter, equal to the electricity meter.

These were made between 1908 and  1930. I have the 1930 version and got the counter working :)

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=19900.msg204396#msg204396
I have tried to translate the diagram of your phone here: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=18730.msg192926#msg192926

countryman

The button would be an earth key then? Not many other possibilities on a CB phone I guess?

HarrySmith

These were apparently imported by the thousands some years back. A lot of them had dials added. I had a customer that had a bunch of these, some that were original and some that were not. They had some very nice models. He had me switch some parts around on a few of them. Stuff like real gold plating & silk cords were used.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

long jumper

SO FROM WHAT I AM READING ABOUT THIS PHONE IT WOULD TAKE A BIT OF MODIFICATION TO WORK TO WORK ON A LAME LINE
 AM I CORRECT IN IN STATING THAT?

dsk

No button on these, only a blinded hole. The dial may have been changed or relabeled. It should work OK on a regular line, but not the  counter.

HowardPgh

If you're buying the phone in the picture, you might not have to do anything to it to make it work on a land line.  The 2 prongs on the plug that are furthest apart are your L1 & L2.  The odometer is non functional, it was used to count the calls made. If you are referring to that silver thing behind the dial as a button,it is not, it is one of the screws holding the cover on. The other one is behind the bell. The coil is under the bottom plate of the base, the 4 feet hold it on. The thick cord between the phone and the square plug has a lot of conductors in it, maybe 6 or 8.
Howard

long jumper

Thanks for all the info you really help beginners with  a wealth knowledge that you guys all have.

HarrySmith

As already stated, it should work fine as is. I was really impressed with the quality and craftsmanship of these when I worked on them. The fancy gold & silk was very nice. Even the way the wires are wrapped to make a loop was impressive.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

countryman

That's why the Danish phone companies stayed with them for so long. Not before the subscribers protested they issued new designs. At that time those old "conservative" phones were considered antique already in other parts of the world...

long jumper

I PURCHASED THE DANISH PHONE WORKS GOOD AFTER CLEANING ALL CONTACTS ON DIAL AND SWITCH HOOK. WANTED TO SHARE SOME PHOTOS TO SEE IF IT WAS PRE WORLD WAR 2

tubaman

Looks nice and original inside, which is great.

Here's my one, which still has its original paint finish. Mine appears to have been a manual set originally as the dial assembly is quite crudely (two screws and a rough hole) fixed to the top cover and not the base as yours is. There's no sign of where its 'call exchange' button would have been though and it also doesn't have a call counter.

long jumper

Nice phone Tubaman. Just wondering if anyone would be able to give me some info on how to change dial card, also find a date on phone. would really like to figure out how old this could be. Any help appreciated