News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

RTT 56A Handset Capsule?

Started by RDPipes, October 30, 2022, 05:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDPipes

I recently purchased a RTT56A and after testing it I found I heard NO echo of myself (for the lack of the proper word) in the receiver. So my question is, is this the right capsule for this handset, it doesn't really fit proper if ya ask me. Thank you any info or enlightenment!

tubaman

That looks like a later replacement, which is not entirely a surprise as your phone has the "Bell Telephones" transfers on it so has been through a refurb for resale at some point.
Here's what I believe to be an original one, which is marked "Made in Belgium TMC 2047 - AB" on it's edge. However if the one you have is functional and making good contact I'd have thought it would work.
Oh, the term for hearing yourself in the receiver is "sidetone".
 :)

RDPipes

Thank you sir, Side Tone! that's it, had a brain fart. I don't believe mine makes very good contact
because the way the contacts are set up in the handset and I was afraid to start tweaking them because if the capsule wasn't the proper one the right one wouldn't fit properly. That and I would much rather use the original parts whether
it's good or not. And this isn't the first thing I've come across that wasn't right although the others were an easy fix. Now to source a capsule should be fun.

countryman

That's a standard German capsule made by Friedrich Reiner, apparently from (19)80 (month not readable).
These have a smaller diameter compared to the original, but usually make good contact. I have used my "Belgian kettle" some years with a similar transmitter.
Have you checked the volume on the other end of the line? A 1980 transmitter may very well be "deaf".

RDPipes

Quote from: countryman on October 31, 2022, 07:31:58 AMThat's a standard German capsule made by Friedrich Reiner, apparently from (19)80 (month not readable).
These have a smaller diameter compared to the original, but usually make good contact. I have used my "Belgian kettle" some years with a similar transmitter.
Have you checked the volume on the other end of the line? A 1980 transmitter may very well be "deaf".

Thank you sir, I haven't a cell phone so I have no way to call myself to check that, I have taken a ohm reading and it seems high, I was expecting it to be around .35 -.45. I don't have anyone to call to be perfectly honest to check it either.
I'm going to see if a known good WE F1 capsule fits and go from there I reckon.

FABphones

As per tubaman above, when the phones were retired they were disassembled for refurbishment by a refurb house. The phones received a repaint, often in none standard colours (eg red, blue, green) and they received gold stencils across each side.

Some phones were given a copper finish.

They were reassembled randomly (many also receiving incorrect handsets). These were aimed at the decorator market so it wasn't considered important by the refurb houses which part went into which phone. In several instances the front RTT badge was not replaced on the phone. My copper version has the front badge missing.

Quote...I have used my "Belgian kettle" some years with a similar transmitter.
They are both nice transmitters.  :)

This (image attached) is the one I found in my copper version.  :-\
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

RDPipes

I understand
Quote from: FABphones on October 31, 2022, 08:04:16 AM...They were reassembled randomly (many also receiving incorrect handsets). These were aimed at the decorator market so it wasn't considered important by the refurb houses which part went into which phone...
I understand that CJ, I just prefer original parts specially when what I have doesn't seem to be working.
Paint and polish are superficial but, when it comes to proper parts (original) I'm a bit picky is all.

FABphones

The transmitter is a refurb house part, but I see what you mean.

I asked a pal to have a look in theirs to see what they have, they have the same version as my copper phone. Guess it was just a case of which box was on the refurb workbench that morning.

If you want to replace with one similar to tubaman's I can have a rummage through my spares, and keep a lookout for one.

Meantime, am wondering if it got damp and needs to dry out, afterwards having good tap to loosen the carbon.

RDPipes

Quote from: FABphones on October 31, 2022, 09:03:43 AM...If you want to replace with one similar to tubaman's I can have a rummage through my spares, and keep a lookout for one.

Thank you CJ, I would certainly appreciate that.
Capsule didn't seem wet or damp and I did give it the tap on the bench to loosen it up without change.
To tell you the truth I think it's just that it doesn't fit properly to get good contact and as said before
I don't want to start bending contacts to make it work when it's not the proper one.

tubaman

Quote from: FABphones on October 31, 2022, 08:04:16 AM...

This (image attached) is the one I found in my copper version.  :-\

That's the inside capsule from a GPO Transmitter No 21, A P Besson version (https://www.britishtelephones.com/trans21.htm), but I expect you knew that.

RDPipes

Quote from: FABphones on October 31, 2022, 09:03:43 AM...I can have a rummage through my spares, and keep a lookout for one.

I got it working but, I had to tweak the contacts in the handset to do it but, would certainly rather have the original and I'm willing to pay for it and shipping. Thank you again, CJ

FABphones

QuoteThat's the inside capsule from a GPO Transmitter No 21...
They certainly get about. Last one I found was in an AE.  :o

———

Here is another from an RTT 56A. That makes four variations so far.

Other members who have this phone, could you check yours and add a photo?
Any advance on four?

countryman

It reads "Krone...PTT..." so I assume it is Dutch (Berlin-based Krone did a lot of business in NL).
Apparently the refurbishing house took what they could get on the market, maybe surplus or even pre-used material?
The rectangular GPO transmitter is transistorized and can be considered an upgrade, maybe fitted by a collector.

FABphones

Quote from: countryman on November 02, 2022, 03:00:34 AM...GPO transmitter is transistorized and can be considered an upgrade, maybe fitted by a collector.

Agreed. Most likely an after market adaptation (private or later reseller).