News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

French ‘Niche’

Started by FABphones, December 12, 2022, 11:51:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

Spotted this wall mounted telephone shelf today in my favourite Depot Vente.

The metal Fleur de Lys is a nice touch and for the equivalent of just $10 I couldn't leave it there. Not sure yet where it will be mounted.

Not quite a Niche as this is attached to the wall rather than in it. This one also has the Directory shelf underneath.

Image below shows it as found in the store.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

countryman

Nice piece, especially with the ornament.
I suppose the concept of phone niches never caught on in Europe because studded walls were not frequently used. Stone houses or timber frames filled with (mud)brick were the norm. Not so easy to retrofit a niche there...

RDPipes

Quote from: countryman on December 12, 2022, 01:55:51 PMNice piece, especially with the ornament.
I suppose the concept of phone niches never caught on in Europe because studded walls were not frequently used. Stone houses or timber frames filled with (mud)brick were the norm. Not so easy to retrofit a niche there...

So ya all were still basically living in caves back then eh? LOL!
Just kidding.

FABphones

Quote from: countryman on December 12, 2022, 01:55:51 PMNice piece, especially with the ornament...

Thank you.
 :)

Quote from: RDPipes on December 12, 2022, 02:23:45 PMSo ya all were still basically living in caves back then eh?

Still do. My property is made of stone. Over 300 years old.
All walls - interior and exterior are each 3ft thick (lots of 'mud' holding the stone together).
The main staircase is made from long lengths of granite.
 :D

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble